New to pen turning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chris88

Hi I am new to pen turning. I have a lathe on order it's a Jet 1220. I still need to get every thing else. I would like to find out what are the tools I need to get as for a turning tools. I see there are a lot of deferent kinds. Which tools do you use the most when turning pens?

Thanks for you help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rwyoung

Sharp ones... :)

Seriously though, plan on having a way to sharpen your tools in addition to just spending on the tools. Could be as simple as a grinder with a nice 80 or 100 grit wheel and home-made sharpening jig (Google is your friend) or you could go all out and get a Wolvirine or clone or the one that Nova sells (I have that one, good value).

For the tools, be sure to get HSS (High Speed Steel). These are more forgiving during the sharpening, if you accidentally blue the steel, it won't damage the temper. Just don't quench HSS as that will make it a bit brittle. To that end, the grinder speed (1700 vs 3400) isn't as important to the sharpening of HSS except that things happen a lot faster with a 3400rpm grinder...

Another thing to consider, is tool size. Remember, you can do small things with big tools rather easily but it can be difficult to do big things with small tools. I suggest investing in a medium size set of 4-8 with at least a 1" skew, 3/4" roughing gouge, parting tool and a round nose scraper (maybe 1/2" or so wide). Learn to use the skew. Everybody told me that and they are right. The more I use it, the less I seem to have to sand things or at least start with a higher grit.

Saved the best for last... I used a coupon and bought the 8 piece set from Harbor Freight for like $40. HSS and seem to be working fine. I've since suplimented with a real bowl gouge and a thinner parting tool but so far I'm satisfied with the "cheap" tools. That said, the Sorby bowl gouge is pretty nice and I'm sure the rest of the Sorby tools would be too.

jleiwig

Sharp ones... :)

Seriously though, plan on having a way to sharpen your tools in addition to just spending on the tools. Could be as simple as a grinder with a nice 80 or 100 grit wheel and home-made sharpening jig (Google is your friend) or you could go all out and get a Wolvirine or clone or the one that Nova sells (I have that one, good value).

For the tools, be sure to get HSS (High Speed Steel). These are more forgiving during the sharpening, if you accidentally blue the steel, it won't damage the temper. Just don't quench HSS as that will make it a bit brittle. To that end, the grinder speed (1700 vs 3400) isn't as important to the sharpening of HSS except that things happen a lot faster with a 3400rpm grinder...

Another thing to consider, is tool size. Remember, you can do small things with big tools rather easily but it can be difficult to do big things with small tools. I suggest investing in a medium size set of 4-8 with at least a 1" skew, 3/4" roughing gouge, parting tool and a round nose scraper (maybe 1/2" or so wide). Learn to use the skew. Everybody told me that and they are right. The more I use it, the less I seem to have to sand things or at least start with a higher grit.

Saved the best for last... I used a coupon and bought the 8 piece set from Harbor Freight for like $40. HSS and seem to be working fine. I've since suplimented with a real bowl gouge and a thinner parting tool but so far I'm satisfied with the "cheap" tools. That said, the Sorby bowl gouge is pretty nice and I'm sure the rest of the Sorby tools would be too.

I just picked up the same HF set this afternoon. It was on sale for 39.99 and I had a 20% off coupon that was in my Sports Illustrated this month. Total out the door with a 3.99 laser for my upcoming hollowing rig was 38.50. Can't beat that with a stick. :biggrin:

jkeithrussell

The things that I consider mandatory for pen-making are:

Saw (band saw, table saw, miter saw, in that order)
Drill press and vice
Glue (5 minute epoxy, CA [all 3 types], AND gorilla glue)
Pen Press or use drill press or arbor press
Turning tools
Sandpaper
Micromesh pads (set of 9)
Finish (you fall into a bottomless pit here)
Paper towels (about 3 million should do)
Sharpening system (slow grinder with jigs is probably best)
Transfer Punch Set
Belt or Disc Sander and/or blank trimmer set
Drill bits (at least 1 for each type of pen you are making)
Blanks and Kits
60 degree live center
Bushings (I recommend johnnycnc's bushings -- see classifieds)
Storage system to keep pen kits and various pieces organized.

There is a thread on here somewhere started by Hank Lee that has all of the things people wish they had known sooner -- you should read it.

I'm sure I'm leaving off a bunch of things, but that's what I can think of right away.

Chris88

Thanks for the replies I have a drill press, table saw and a grinder will be getting a band saw soon I hope. I will have to check out Harbor Fright for the turning tools. What's a good place to get the other stuff?

jkeithrussell

Thanks for the replies I have a drill press, table saw and a grinder will be getting a band saw soon I hope. I will have to check out Harbor Fright for the turning tools. What's a good place to get the other stuff?

Click "Links" at the top of the page, then "Vendors."

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Don't forget your "buffing system." I went all out when I started and bought a lamb's wool paint roller refill at Home Depot to use for this. They've worked fine for me. (IMHO).

And you can get an inexpensive set of brad point drill bits at HF to start with. As you settle into your "favorites" (type of pens) you can spend what you need on quality drill bits in those sizes.

its_virgil

...and the list goes on...continues to grow...when will I ever have enough tools?:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: ...you never will:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Welcome to the madness. I turn all pens with a 1 1/2 inch skew and a 1/2 inch skew from start to finish; and a round nose scraper on some acrylics.

I don't like polyurethane glue (gorilla glue) for use with pens nor do I use CA for gluing in tubes...two part epoxy...5 minute and I'm turning in 15 with not a problem from the glue.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Rollerbob

Hi Chris and welcome from your neighbor just to the west. Pay attention to what these folks are telling you in the way of tool buying and turning. Rest assured you will be well above the learning curve in no time!!:)

leehljp

Member Liaison

Chris88

Thanks for the replies. I had to do some rooting around in the garage and I found my bench grinder and old scroll saw. So I have something to cut the blanks and sharpen the tools. I all ready have a drill press. From what I see the only turning tools I need to get are a gouge, parting tool and a skew. Along with other tools for the lathe. I am glade I found yall there is a lot of good info here.

Thanks again

Top Bottom