New to Pen turning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry

Hello everyone,
I'm just getting started in the pen turning craft and would appreciate any suggestions or guidance anyone has. Also I was wondering about what kind of market exist for selling your finished products and is their a profit in doing so? If so where do most of you market your products?

I would appreciate any and all comments and look forward to hearing from everyone.

Larry Groll

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
In case you haven't already found it, my website should be helpful.
http://www.woodturner-russ.com/Pen10.html

You will get a lot of advice on selling pens. Mine is that, "Quality Sells". Don't try selling them until your pens are as close to perfection in fit and finish as you can get. After that it will depend on the style, location, and how many other folks are selling the same thing.

wayneis

Welcome Larry, keep in mind that it is much more difficult to market than it is to make pens. Turning a pen is for the most part the easy part, its learning how and what to finish with thats hard. Finishing is one of the most talked about topics around.

Good luck,

Wayne

Dario

Welcome Larry!

You got a couple of very good advise...read them and let them sink in well.

On sales...there definitely is a mrket, actually there are different markets and you approach those differently. Pricing depends highly on that market too.

I do this for fun but making a buck or 2 is always welcome. I started by giving away most of my pens last year. We will see if it pays off this year. I know I have 15 pen order from the wife of one of my pens recipient's already...and those are for Christmas [;)].

ashaw

Larry
Welcome aboard. I have been turning for about years now. I first six months or so was learning to make a perfect pen. Those early pens were give-aways to family and friends. I sell mine right now though word of mouth and I am building a WEB Site.
I have tried Flea markets get a lot of nice work no sales. I have also been in a craft mall. Because of past work schedule I could not do Holiday craft sales.
This will be my first year at craft sales I will see. Last year I did 5,000.00 in sales all of which was around Christmas holidays. Again word of month.

Again welcome

Alan

JHFerrell

Larry, I'm also new to the wonderful world of pen turning and I love it. I've only been a member here for a short time and I can tell you one thing already...these guys know pens!! Welcome and happy turnin to ya

Welcome Larry. I don't know much about selling pens but would like to. Problem is there are still an awful lot of penless family and friends to satisfy first.[;)] As soon as they get wind of your pen making addiction they come out of the woodwork[:D]

Larry

Thanks everyone for your comments,
I can see this is going to be a long but rewarding experience of learning all of the in's and outs. Glad this site exist for all of the questions I'm sure to have.

CPDesigns

Larry,

I work in a hospital (on a few very busy ICU's) so I've had great success on WOM for holidays and birthdays. It's a bit late in the season, but graduations are big too. I'm planning on making some "graduation sets" in the local college and high school colors; I may even get a few engraved by Ken. You can always see if there are free papers or other publications that might be worth placing an ad in. And of course don't forget that, in today's world, it's almost mandatory to have a website. Craft shows seem to be the mainstay of the pen world, but they can be tricky to actually make any money at (as I recently found out...)

lawry76

This isn't much of an answer to your question, but it is worth sharing. I haven't sold a pen yet. But I do have a son who is a Senior Chief in the Navy and a daughter who is married and lives in Belfast, Northern Ireland. I delight in giving them pens every chance I get. John gives them to the sailors who work in his office and Lisa shares them as gifts with teachers and co-workers when they have birthdays, anniversary and all. I get great delight in giving them away. Welcome to the hobby. And yes, you will learn a ton from this group. They are wonderful.

Scott

Hi Larry!

Welcome to penurning! And welcome to the IAP!

Advice! Well, don't do anything unless you're having fun doing it! Don't look at a pen kit and say "Let's see what I can do with this!" Instead say "What CAN'T I do with this!" We can all turn pens here, but the ones who stand out in my mind are the ones who are never happy with the 'usual". They always push the limits without even thinking about it.

Other than that I suggest you turn as much as you can, and enjoy the company of your fellow penturners while not listening too closely to what they tell you!

Scott.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom