New To pen turning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chuck C

Welcome to the forum dscott. Hope we get a chance to see your pens and maybe know your first name. This is indead a nice place to learn, show off your work and bring in some ideas also. Hope you enjoy.

WoodChucker

David, welcome to the forum and its nice to have you with us. I looked at your album and your pens look great! What type of finish did you use?

Thumbs

Welcome, <b>Dave</b>. You've found the right place to learn about pen making! These guys are little short of fanatic! I meant, <b>FANTASTIC</b>!

[}:)]Well, some of us are little short fanatics,too!

MDWine

David, sorry to hear about your recent addiction... glad you joined the club!!
This is a great place, and the people are FIRST CLASS... I doubt you could find a more helpful and giving bunch of people!

"I'd rather be with you people than the finest people on earth!"[;)] -from the Mayor in "Roxanne"

JimGo

David,
You asked about finishes...that's a BAD subject to bring up! LOL There's a whole forum dedicated to finishes and techniques. Different people use different techniques, some times varying the technique based on the wood or other material. You'll see that some people use CA/BLO as their finish, others use different types of polyurethanes (there's one called Enduro that Wayneis uses that he's really mastered) or shellac. Most of those who sell their pens use some kind of wax on top, either TSW, Rennaissance wax, or the like, to give an even higher gloss. Some use plastic polish or buffing compounds on the pens as well. Good luck on your quest to find a good finish...we're all on the same road, although some are farther down it than others. If you're interested, here's a link to a CA/BLO tutorial: http://www.penturners.org/content/ca-blo.pdf If you search the Finishing forum, you'll find lots of other instructions, too.

Again, good luck!

arehrlich

Welcome David,

You have made the first step in the 12 step program. The rest of them relate to sanding, sealing, buffing and spending... and spending... and did I say... spending?

If you have question - this is the group that has the answers. It's an incredible bunch of turners.

Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom