New Pen Turner - trying to figure things out

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

aksarben

OK, I have made a couple of pens that came out OK.

I have a couple of questions that I hope someone here may be able to help me with.

One is, I bought some of the Polaris kits from PSI and I forgot the bushings. I have seen what appears to be the same kit on other sites with names like Altas at Berea and Patriot at Craft Supply. Are the bushings for these going to be the same if I by from someone other then PSI?

Second one, I have been trying out the CA BLO finish. I have a small problem with and and wonder what people are doing to get around it. I turn the pen down the the bushings and then put on the CA BLO and it glues the pen to the bushings. Taking the bushing off the pen has damaged the wood on the ends where the tube gets glued. What methods are you using to keep this from happening?

Third, I am interested in the Inlace type products, what alternatives are there to this product and what size granules work best for pens?

Thanks, I have already learned much from reading the posts on this forum.

Scott Pearson

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charles

I believe on the polaris pen you will be ok with bushings frrom another company. This does not hold true on all styles but these are close on this kit. When you get the bushings mic them and the kit parts to be sure.

As for the gluing of bushings to blanks. acetone dissolves CA.

As for the inlace I can't help, but someone here will be able to answer.

Let us see some pic's!

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Why take a chance on the bushings?
Woodturningz sells PSI kits at a less expensive price than PSI.
They won't be open till Monday because of the long weekend.
I glue my blanks to my bushings intentionally to prevent the metal filings from staining the wood.No big deal getting them off.
I have found a piece of waxpaper put between the bushing and the wood ,turned down while turning the blank prevents the blank from sticking to the face of the bushing.If the blank is milled properly it should be a amting surface and no glue should get down ther.
Take the tip of your skew and turning the lathe by hand"shave" the CA off the joint at the bushing.
Acetone does not dissolve CA it softens it.It will aid in clean up but in this instance you would probably ruin the finish on the pen.
It will help in cleaning your bushings.So will an exacto knife.

aksarben

Well, the reason the reason that I want to get the bushings elsewhere is that I want to get some other products. I forgot the bushings on my PSI order and I hate to pay shipping for just that one item.

I will have to try the wax paper and or the xacto knife and see what happens.

Here are pens number 3, 4 and 5 that I have made. Pens 1 and 2 are gone I gave them away.
my.php

hmm, that image does not show up. Here is a link the the picture.

http://img225.imageshack.us/my.php?image=345rj7.jpg

Thanks for the tips.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom