New pen Turner question - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2018, 06:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Default New pen Turner question

Hi,
I am getting ready to turn my first pen.. have done some turning but no pens..
What is a good kit for me to try, and where do I get it?
Thanks!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
jasonlmartin is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-12-2018, 07:25 AM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 0

The vendor forums lists several suppliers that are all reputable and can supply your needs. Most people start off with slimline kits because they are cheap. A good starter pen could be a Sierra because it is a single barrel and easy to put together.
Loucurr is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-12-2018, 08:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

I like the zen from CSUSA. Itís not too difficult to turn and is a nice rollerball with a magnetic cap. It makes a good everyday use pen, everyone Iíve given one to loves it.
ajollydds is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 05-12-2018, 09:27 AM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 6

The slim and trim lines are good because they are less expensive and each kit will require you to turn two barrels (more practice). I wood just use inexpensive wood ($1 or less per blanks.) If interested. If your prefer something quicker, but more expensive, I would try any of the single barrel kits where the both sides of the final diameters are the same (like the PSI executive .420 on each side). I think it is going to hard to beat the "value" of a slim or trim line kit especially for practice (there's also nothing at all wrong with them - in my opinion). Happy turning!

Peace,

Tony
TonyL is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-12-2018, 09:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

+1 on Tony's advice.

I rarely turn kits, but I suggest buying a large handful of spare tubes. They're cheap, and particularly when paired with a cheap blank great for practice. If you get a good result put the kit together; if you don't, toss it and start over with no remorse.

FWIW,

Bill
bmachin is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-12-2018, 09:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 63

My recommendation for a first pen kit would be the 30 Caliber Bolt Action from PSI (many vendors sell it as well, but get the genuine PSI kit).

It has a single barrel, which looks good straight-sided. The satisfaction level from turning this kit is very high. You will be very pleased with the result.

Kids rule the world !!! .... eventually if not already !

magpens is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-12-2018, 10:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 1

I would recommend the Le Roy ballpoint or the Gatsby ballpoint. Both are on the lower price range and single barrel. They also have a rounded point where the blank meets the kit which makes them a bit more forgiving if you end up slightly out of round or not matching the bushings perfectly. You can also upgrade to a Schmidt 9000 refill which will enhance the writing experience

"He (Jesus) must increase, I must decrease." John 3:30
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-12-2018, 10:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member Liaison

Photos: 46

There are basically two directions as has been suggested:

1. Least expensive - Slimlines

2. Simple - one piece (to turn) pens.

The least expensive (a variety of slimlines) are sometimes the hardest for new turners IF they are trying to make them straight. But they give leeway for free shaping which gives good practice.

Slightly more expensive are pens that use one piece blanks such as the Sierra type. Much more simple to make - rather than trying to make matched dual blanks as on slimlines.

For me - as Bill mentioned - get some extra tubes and practice turning. I made 3 or 4 pens and then bought a bunch of tubes and cuts a 2x4 pine piece down and made several pen blanks, drilled holes and spent a few hours turning those and finishing those - not to make a pen but get used to the tool, sizing and finishing. It will help in the long run.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
leehljp is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-12-2018, 10:29 AM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 2

Pick a kit you like and one you'd use and carry. Possible make it 2 in case you muff up the assembly. Then buy a bag or two of spare tubes. Turn several blanks until you are pleased with on and assemble it.

Keep the shiny side up and the greasy side down.......

President Pikes Peak Woodturners - AAW Chapter
Mr Vic is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-12-2018, 10:46 AM   #10 (permalink)

Photos: 83

222 posts and I know I have seen your name here many times so I had to look you up. All this time all you did was sell pen blanks and never made one pen with all the blanks you sold????????????? have to say that is strange. May I ask what got you into this in the first place?? I mean no disrespect I am just trying to scratch an itch. Usually people start turning pens first and maybe someone asks about a blank they make or gotten and and the sale of blanks begins. But to sell blanks and never made one pen.

Hey I am not judging, to each his own. As mentioned I believe the best kit for a beginner is a one piece or single blank kit such as any of the Sierra line or the Zen line. Simple straight forward shape and only 2 bushings. I hope you have all the tools necessary. I like to buy from either Exotic Blanks or Bear Tooth Woods.
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads