New pen Turner question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jasonlmartin

Hi,
I am getting ready to turn my first pen.. have done some turning but no pens..
What is a good kit for me to try, and where do I get it?
Thanks!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Loucurr

The vendor forums lists several suppliers that are all reputable and can supply your needs. Most people start off with slimline kits because they are cheap. A good starter pen could be a Sierra because it is a single barrel and easy to put together.

ajollydds

I like the zen from CSUSA. It's not too difficult to turn and is a nice rollerball with a magnetic cap. It makes a good everyday use pen, everyone I've given one to loves it.

TonyL

The slim and trim lines are good because they are less expensive and each kit will require you to turn two barrels (more practice). I wood just use inexpensive wood ($1 or less per blanks.) If interested. If your prefer something quicker, but more expensive, I would try any of the single barrel kits where the both sides of the final diameters are the same (like the PSI executive .420 on each side). I think it is going to hard to beat the "value" of a slim or trim line kit especially for practice (there's also nothing at all wrong with them - in my opinion). Happy turning!

magpens

My recommendation for a first pen kit would be the 30 Caliber Bolt Action from PSI (many vendors sell it as well, but get the genuine PSI kit).

It has a single barrel, which looks good straight-sided. The satisfaction level from turning this kit is very high. You will be very pleased with the result.

SteveJ

I would recommend the Le Roy ballpoint or the Gatsby ballpoint. Both are on the lower price range and single barrel. They also have a rounded point where the blank meets the kit which makes them a bit more forgiving if you end up slightly out of round or not matching the bushings perfectly. You can also upgrade to a Schmidt 9000 refill which will enhance the writing experience

leehljp

Member Liaison
There are basically two directions as has been suggested:

1. Least expensive - Slimlines

2. Simple - one piece (to turn) pens.

The least expensive (a variety of slimlines) are sometimes the hardest for new turners IF they are trying to make them straight. But they give leeway for free shaping which gives good practice.

Slightly more expensive are pens that use one piece blanks such as the Sierra type. Much more simple to make - rather than trying to make matched dual blanks as on slimlines.

For me - as Bill mentioned - get some extra tubes and practice turning. I made 3 or 4 pens and then bought a bunch of tubes and cuts a 2x4 pine piece down and made several pen blanks, drilled holes and spent a few hours turning those and finishing those - not to make a pen but get used to the tool, sizing and finishing. It will help in the long run.

Mr Vic

Pick a kit you like and one you'd use and carry. Possible make it 2 in case you muff up the assembly. Then buy a bag or two of spare tubes. Turn several blanks until you are pleased with on and assemble it.

jttheclockman

222 posts and I know I have seen your name here many times so I had to look you up. All this time all you did was sell pen blanks and never made one pen with all the blanks you sold????????????? have to say that is strange. May I ask what got you into this in the first place?? I mean no disrespect I am just trying to scratch an itch. Usually people start turning pens first and maybe someone asks about a blank they make or gotten and and the sale of blanks begins. But to sell blanks and never made one pen.:eek::)

Hey I am not judging, to each his own. As mentioned I believe the best kit for a beginner is a one piece or single blank kit such as any of the Sierra line or the Zen line. Simple straight forward shape and only 2 bushings. I hope you have all the tools necessary. I like to buy from either Exotic Blanks or Bear Tooth Woods.

jasonlmartin

Well, I will try to explain. I work about 60 hours a week as an equipment operator, and have 4 children between the ages of 2 and 12. I have a woodworking shop, where I make small items as time allows. I ran a Centauro hydraulic copy lathe for about 3 years, so have quite a bit of turning experience. I started selling some exotic lumber, and got interested in pens, but have not had the time to make any. Didn't have a lathe until about a year ago, and still only have old cheap tools. Am trying, but don't have the time to do everything I would like to do. Hope this helps!
222 posts and I know I have seen your name here many times so I had to look you up. All this time all you did was sell pen blanks and never made one pen with all the blanks you sold????????????? have to say that is strange. May I ask what got you into this in the first place?? I mean no disrespect I am just trying to scratch an itch. Usually people start turning pens first and maybe someone asks about a blank they make or gotten and and the sale of blanks begins. But to sell blanks and never made one pen.:eek:[emoji2]

Hey I am not judging, to each his own. As mentioned I believe the best kit for a beginner is a one piece or single blank kit such as any of the Sierra line or the Zen line. Simple straight forward shape and only 2 bushings. I hope you have all the tools necessary. I like to buy from either Exotic Blanks or Bear Tooth Woods.

jttheclockman

Well, I will try to explain. I work about 60 hours a week as an equipment operator, and have 4 children between the ages of 2 and 12. I have a woodworking shop, where I make small items as time allows. I ran a Centauro hydraulic copy lathe for about 3 years, so have quite a bit of turning experience. I started selling some exotic lumber, and got interested in pens, but have not had the time to make any. Didn't have a lathe until about a year ago, and still only have old cheap tools. Am trying, but don't have the time to do everything I would like to do. Hope this helps!
222 posts and I know I have seen your name here many times so I had to look you up. All this time all you did was sell pen blanks and never made one pen with all the blanks you sold????????????? have to say that is strange. May I ask what got you into this in the first place?? I mean no disrespect I am just trying to scratch an itch. Usually people start turning pens first and maybe someone asks about a blank they make or gotten and and the sale of blanks begins. But to sell blanks and never made one pen.:eek:[emoji2]

Yea don't we all.:)

Last edited:

Ambidex

The slim and trim lines are good because they are less expensive and each kit will require you to turn two barrels (more practice). I wood just use inexpensive wood ($1 or less per blanks.) If interested. If your prefer something quicker, but more expensive, I would try any of the single barrel kits where the both sides of the final diameters are the same (like the PSI executive .420 on each side). I think it is going to hard to beat the "value" of a slim or trim line kit especially for practice (there's also nothing at all wrong with them - in my opinion). Happy turning!

This is good advice. Cheaper to make mistakes with and increases your abilities with smaller tolerances. I'm not saying it's the only way, but I'd take a guess that the majority of the people in this forum started this way, including myself.

Top Bottom