New to Pen making

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldl1017

Hi Guys and gals,
I am new to pen making. I am a twenty plus year veteran to DIY projects, so I am very handy with tools. Lathe work is a foreign area. I am picking up a Jet mini lathe this weekend and will be ordering supplies form Penn State, Woodcraft and others. As I look at some of the drop dead gorgeous pens that some have posted, I noticed that these pens all seem to have higher end hardware on them...the clips, the ends and even the bands in the middle. Is there somplace that sells these parts individually and that are classier than what is supplied in the average kit? I am going to start on the basic kits, but would like to graduate to the nicer pens in several years time.
Thanks,
Lou

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jkeithrussell

Welcome. Click "Links" at the top of the page, then "Vendors."

BTW: there's no need to wait "several years" to start making nicer pens. The nicer pens are not harder to make. In fact, many people (including me) will tell you that the slim line and euro are more difficult to make than a fancy pen -- like a Jr. Gent. You just need to get your pen-making process down first so that you aren't learning and working through mistakes on $25 kits.

Last edited:

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Hi Lou,

Welcome. Whatever you need, check out the classifieds in the "Buy, Sell and Swap" forum first. You will not go wrong buying from a member of this community. If you don't see what you want, ask. Also, if you haven't done so already, take some time and go through the Library. You will learn how to do all sorts of neat stuff to enhance your skills and the apearance of your pens!

Mike

ldl1017

Thanks for all the quick replies. I am constantly foraging through this site to get good info. I will start perusing the libray area. I am also going to sign up for a woodturning class that my local Woodcraft offers. It should cut down on the learning /frustration curve.
Lou

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Lou.

Below is a link to a PDF file that goes over many aspects of pen turning from finish - to pens - to tools - to methods etc. It is not in detail but a good overview for pen turning. Since you are just starting pen turning this might be helpful to you. You do have the advantage of already having some of the tools since you have been doing DIY for a long while.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

Also included below is a link to a new post that gives some information that people wished they had known earlier in pen turning. Some good information by those that make pens.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

randyrls

In fact, many people (including me) will tell you that the slim line and euro are more difficult to make than a fancy pen -- like a Jr. Gent. You just need to get your pen-making process down first so that you aren't learning and working through mistakes on $25 kits.

I agree Keith; Once you get past the sticker shock, the pricier pens look far more impressive than the best slimline.

Buy a few extra empty tubes just in case...

The pens that require the most skill are ones with a taper. The comfort, Cigar, and others require a good bit of skill to make them even and match the fittings at both ends. BTW, I have found cigar pens don't match the bushings at all closely.

DurocShark

Go ahead and buy some slims to practice on. But grab some Jr Gents and Sierras early too, along with the appropriate drill bits, bushings, and whatnots. They're actually easier IMO and look tons better.

Top Bottom