New Pen kit?!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

Seamus:
I've never seen anything quite like it. The cap threads and clip look like custom work-or at least nothing coming from Tiawan .

The threads at the cb look like single start. The back end of the main barrel looks custom- even maybe magnetic.

But then the "m" in the cap makes me think "kit" or" assembly line custom".

I would like more information, if you find it. I'm looking through Pen Annual trying to find caps with "m", so far not much luck.

seamus7227

Yeah based on certain points I guessed that it was custom, but the "M" is throwing me off too! I sent the guy a PM but haven't heard anything yet and he has yet to post anything on here but three pics.

terryf

Rick P

I think he is mixing and matching kits and only has the M in the cross hairs emblem manufactured. Pop out the old cap accent and in with the new "M". A guess anyway.

I know This person and he is a friend. The pen parts are made here in the USA and is made from SS but with a brushed look. He has also done some with polished SS.

He also has a fountain pen.

The "M" with the cross hair is his logo and is been spin cast.

terryf

I know This person and he is a friend. The pen parts are made here in the USA and is made from SS but with a brushed look. He has also done some with polished SS.

Constant

Are they available commercially or specially made for him?

seamus7227

Constant please tell him to come out of hiding!~:biggrin: His work is intriguing

marksman

Constant please tell him to come out of hiding!~:biggrin: His work is intriguing

Hey guys, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Mark Willey and I live near Atlanta. I am a good friend of Constant's and I have been turning pens for a little while now and Constant has been a great mentor. Very soon after starting to turn pens, I found myself looking beyond the kits that were available through our dependable suppliers so I sketched up a design and manufactured it for my own use. Through the design and manufacturing process, I found that to be what I truly enjoy, turning a few wooden blanks for pleasure every now and then.

So, I will now come out of hiding, I just didn't want to come across as a fox raiding the hen house. We are currently tweaking the design shown in the pics and will be offering the kits as an alternative to the mass produced kits from China and Taiwan. I found some of your comments fascinating, you guys have a keen eye for detail which is why I wanted to get comments on the pics before completing our tweaks to the design. We are hoping to have something ready for sale in the next 45 to 60 days...no promises there though.

As I was reading the recent threads regarding disappearing high end pen kits, I was hopeful that providing these kits will fill a growing void in our industry. And, to explain, my website does not have pics of my new pens yet. I have a new website that I have been working on but have recently decided to produce kits instead of pens. I look forward to working with you guys in the future. If you have any additional commonets with regard to the pen design, I would like to hear them, either privately or through this post. Thanks for the comments thus far.

Timebandit

I would personally like to see more pictures of these pens. Particularly one with the cap on the pen. Great looking pen by the way:biggrin:

Thanks

toddlajoie

I think the pen looks fantastic, I assume the end cap is threaded to replace the refill, as the tip end looks solid, but I may be wrong.

Clip looks nice and solid, your shaping of the wood is very pleasing, but I would be interested to see how the pen would look with more traditional profiles ( dead straight or a modest center bulge). Not that your shape isn't excellent (it REALLY IS!!!) but I think a less stylized body might make the kit look a bit different...

I think you're definitely on to something, and I'm sure if you offer them for sale, they will go quickly...

glycerine

Hey guys, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Mark Willey and I live near Atlanta. I am a good friend of Constant's and I have been turning pens for a little while now and Constant has been a great mentor. Very soon after starting to turn pens, I found myself looking beyond the kits that were available through our dependable suppliers so I sketched up a design and manufactured it for my own use. Through the design and manufacturing process, I found that to be what I truly enjoy, turning a few wooden blanks for pleasure every now and then.

So, I will now come out of hiding, I just didn't want to come across as a fox raiding the hen house. We are currently tweaking the design shown in the pics and will be offering the kits as an alternative to the mass produced kits from China and Taiwan. I found some of your comments fascinating, you guys have a keen eye for detail which is why I wanted to get comments on the pics before completing our tweaks to the design. We are hoping to have something ready for sale in the next 45 to 60 days...no promises there though.

As I was reading the recent threads regarding disappearing high end pen kits, I was hopeful that providing these kits will fill a growing void in our industry. And, to explain, my website does not have pics of my new pens yet. I have a new website that I have been working on but have recently decided to produce kits instead of pens. I look forward to working with you guys in the future. If you have any additional commonets with regard to the pen design, I would like to hear them, either privately or through this post. Thanks for the comments thus far.

The "kit" looks nice. Personally, I'd rather see it without the "M" on the end. If you're hoping to sell this to US, so we can create a pen and sell it as OURS, we don't want YOUR logo on the end. But maybe that's just me. Just giving my opinion...

marksman

The "kit" looks nice. Personally, I'd rather see it without the "M" on the end. If you're hoping to sell this to US, so we can create a pen and sell it as OURS, we don't want YOUR logo on the end. But maybe that's just me. Just giving my opinion...

Thanks! The jewel will be redesigned as well...I don't want my logo on your pen either :biggrin:

seamus7227

Personally, I'd rather see it without the "M" on the end. If you're hoping to sell this to US, so we can create a pen and sell it as OURS, we don't want YOUR logo on the end. But maybe that's just me. Just giving my opinion...

Personally, I think it could be a good marketing tool! Possibly to military personnel?! Just a thought. And what difference does it make, David Broadwell uses a fancy B on his kits that are through Penn state and no one complains about that:tongue: Just my .02 worth, I think if that is the style of that kit, then maybe he will offer others that are similar or have other varieties to choose from. Cant please all! I know that first hand with my Tru-Quarter blanks™.

tjseagrove

marksman said:
Thanks! The jewel will be redesigned as well...I don't want my logo on your pen either :biggrin:

What if the logo on the top was a replaceable insert so we could design our own or you could offer military insignia ones or other designs and sell those too. Could and a new dimension to the pen kit...

Tom

TerryDowning

You could possibly add a service providing custom jewels. A certain minimum order and setup charges would apply I'm sure but who knows some may be willing to pay for having their own custom branded jewel. You did.

Now that you've asked, you'll get no shortage of advice from this forum.

wiset1

End cap insignia is pretty big in the Military and used as retention gifts for opting to stay in and serve a couple more tours. I have a 5th Signal Command and a 2nd Signal Brigade pen in my sleeve with insignias on the ends. I always get asked where I got them...traded some of mine to get them, ha ha ha. Long story short, works well for military.

seamus7227

MARKSMAN PEN KIT REVIEW~

I just received my Marksman Pen kit in the mail today!!! Words cant describe the look and feel of this pen kit. I will post some teaser pics tomorrow of the components and will be writing a full review of this kit so stay tuned.......!~~

seamus7227

a couple of teaser pics: the first one is the style of the bushings, utilizes 60° live center turning. 2nd abd 3rd pics are of the finial and clip assembly! new design change from the original pics!

Sent from my Epic using Forum Runner

LOL, i just noticed all of the quarters in the background! Bet you cant tell what i was doing last nite!

Attachments

• 2011-09-26 20.34.11.jpg
    2011-09-26 20.34.11.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 243
  • 2011-09-26 20.27.28.jpg
    2011-09-26 20.27.28.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 246
  • 2011-09-26 20.26.20.jpg
    2011-09-26 20.26.20.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Hit the business classsified and search under marksman you will find his earlier posts

Brooks803

I was lucky enough to get to meet Mark in person at the ATL meeting about a week ago. Great guy and these kits really are awesome. The bushings are made so that they can be used between centers or on a mandrel and I was kinda shocked at how light the components were. Being made of stainless steel I thought it'd be a bit hefty but was plesantly surprised. I bought a couple kits off of him and now that I'm back in action I have a perfect blank in mind....something to look forward to!

Top Bottom