new pen kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rjwolfe3

I have one but havent turned it yet. Still not sure what to use for material. Thought about camo but they didnt have camo back then. Would love to find some "witness" trees from the Civil War.

rjwolfe3

KenBrasier

I have made several and I really like the kits. I did a couple with Jack Daniel's Whiskey Blanks from Jimm1 where I drilled them off-center so just a little of the charred oak would show (also a very nice aroma while turning these blanks). One with Black Walnut Burl, and another with Bias-cut Eastern Redcedar. It is a easy kit to do and are great looking if you like a short fat pen

Mr Fixit

I had a friend ask me about those kits. Are they so big they don't fit well in a pocket? just how big is it?

Mr Fixit

KenBrasier

I had a friend ask me about those kits. Are they so big they don't fit well in a pocket? just how big is it?

Mr Fixit

Well, the Clip end is a 58 Caliper Minie' Ball replica, so just over 9/16" in. And it is about 4 7/8" overall length. LOML, who doesn't like bulky pens, says it's a keeper, so we're gonna make more.

Funny thing, I saw the kit and showed it to my step son, who is a long haul trucker and a real civil war buff... he knows most of the history of the battles... he thought and these are his words, not mine... "kinda cheesy"... so unless I get requests, probably won't make any myself.

bradbn4

After looking at a photo on the website, the clip to me makes it look "cheesy".

I am not a big fan of rifle style pen clips. Not that I don't like rifles, but I prefer a more simple design.

With the temp warming up, I might be able to clean a spot out in the garage and do some lathe work for a change.

Whaler

Has anyone as yet bought the new civil war pen kit from Penn State. If so can you review them thanks

Here is one that I recently made. To me it is a nice kit, the bullets are realistic and the musket clip isn't bad. Nice weight and feel to it as well.

Attachments

• CivilWar.jpg
    CivilWar.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 203

papNal

We have quite a few Civil War Reenactment groups around here so I ordered a couple different kits to try.Tallassee Al. has the remains of one of a few Confederate Armorys that made rifles during the war.I have been turning quite a few pens using wood from the Armory.I used antique brass finish and also the gun metal,most were modified slims and Saturn types.The old Armory wood (heart pine)should look pretty good on the new pens,if it works out and anyone wants some blanks,I'll be glad to share with you. John

65GTMustang

Hello,
Brand new to the Forum here!
Very excited to have found it.
I really look forward to learning from everyone - I hope that I might be able to help some as well.

Not real sure how to post my own info....still fumbling through how to use the site....I have never been apart of anything like this. Email is about my speed.

Obviously I have figured out that I can reply to others?
So you are my very first contact!
I must say that is a great looking antler pen.
I have turned about 6 various styles of antler pens....The smell is tuff to get use too.....
I have a couple of photos of my newest set of pens
They are the Newest BUT "now out of stock" Civil War Replica pens from Penn State...

VERY FUN pen to make!!!

I have 7 in my photo - I turned 3 of each metal color....Before I could take my pics - I had two people to purchase one each of my Gun Metal Black pens.

I would like to make one very special point in regards to this set of pens!
The wood I used is VERY SPECIAL.
This wood is Angelique
and it was taken directly from the Ship "Spirit of South Carolina"

It is a ship which is being reconditioned in Charleston. (Please Google very interesting)

When the work began, I had a few of my wood friends that went down to the coast and salvaged every piece of wood they could from the ship as it was taken off.
All of that wood is now gone. It was either picked up by people or destroyed.
These could be or become extremely special pens because of the wood.

This ship was from the early 1700's
So this is some VERY old wood....Very special in my eyes and takes very special care to work it.

I hope others think the pens look nice and appreciate the type of wood I used.
I hope to work other Angelique pieces in the near future - I will keep my pics up to date.

I welcome your feedback
and look forward to becoming an active member

Last edited:
Top Bottom