new pen from berea

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MarkD

Interesting design. I kind of like the lower barrel. Not so sure about the roller in the clip.

seamus7227

I might buy one just to try and modify it into something:rolleyes:(these poor pen kits never survive at my place, always gettin' whored out for parts!)

Last edited:

Dorno

I like them because they seem such a plain simple design but they are alot different than alot of the other pens around.

Cheers Ian

BSea

I'll be interested in reading a review once someone has made one. Just looking at the web page, it looks similar to a sierra. Just shaped a little different at the nib end. It uses the same tube size (although it might be a little longer, or a little shorter).

I do like the roller in the clip, but I'm guessing it's not functional. Not that a functional roller would make much difference. All in all, I'm not really excited about it. I think a sierra is a better looking pen.

BSea

Ron,

It appears that this is a different pen.

Wood Turningz caries it also (Gold & Chrome) for $7.95). Try this: http://www.woodturningz.com/Phoenix_Pen_Kits.aspx
Ron
I think (but not sure) they are essentially the same with just some cosmetic differences. Kinda like the difference between a Sierra, a Gatsby, or a Mesa. I think it will take a side by side comparison to know for sure.

I have a Phoenix kit & would be glad to give the dimensions if anyone is interested. I might as well do something with it. I bought it to try, but I just can't get much enthusiasm when it comes to making a pen with it.:rolleyes:

I do know it's a finial twist as apposed to a barrel twist.

EDIT: What the heck, it's Friday, so here's some rough dimentions. The tube is longer than a Sierra click. It's 2 9/16" (measured with a ruler, not calipers). Over all, It measures just about 5 7/8". So just slightly longer than the Clicker by CSUSA. That's more than 1/2" longer than a Sierra. Also, the nib bushing is larger than the finial bushing.

Last edited:

BSea

Ok, I just looked at the instructions for the Virage by Brerea. It is also a finial twist, but uses 3 adapters. There are no adapters in the Phoenix components. Neither one of these really melt my butter. But I'd think just at 1st glance, the Phoenix is a better platform based on not using the 3 adapters. This is just my opinion. I'd say it my 2¢, but since I've built neither, it's probably not worth that much.:)

broitblat

I've turned a Phoenix from Woodturningz but not a Virage. The Phoenix is definitely a different pen. There is a significant taper from one end of the barrel to the other. It uses the same tube diameter as a Sierra/Mesa/etc. but it is a longer tube. One end of the barrel is approximately the same OD as the Sierra, but the other end is nearly 1/10" larger as I recall.

I like the feel of the pen and intend to do more, but I think I'd prefer a less significant taper.

One the other hand, from what I see, I don't like the looks of the Virage. The components just looks unfinished/incomplete.

YMMV

-Barry

Top Bottom