new pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

dw

I've been working on this idea for about a month or two. After one false start and several heart stopping dumb, dumb, dumb mistakes, it all came together into this latest blackwood Euro fountain pen. I'm as happy as I can be with the results. I'm none too good a photographer but the pen truned out really spectacular...especially shape and technique-wise.

I am new to this game...this is my eighth (?) pen...ninth (?)...anyway less than 12. So I'd welcome comments.

DWFII

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

Very Sleek looking pen. I know very well how hard Blackwood is to get a good finish on. but from what I can tell you did a great job on it. the focus is off just enough that I woldn't be able to see soem of the suttler boo boos though. just a comment on your photo, the first one at least. it looks liek the point of focus is about 1- 1-1/4 inches below or in fron of the pen. look at the detail in the background and you can see where it's texture comes into focus. other than that the photo is very good being a black subject. they are very hard to get a good exposure of and it looks like everything else is set up real good.
the range that is in focus is very narrow when getting pictures like this. often the front edge of the pen will be in focus but the back will not. a difference of about 1/2 inch.
Now for the important stuff. We need a full report, (preferably in the form of an artical), describing in detail every step in making this pen.
it is important thatyou include all material selection information. tools and equipment used. drilling speeds, lathe speed, finish as well as technique in application. and of course, send me the pen so that I can give you a more thourough evaluation. I'll send it right back as soon as it runs out of ink :)
Just kidding...
Very impressive for having less than a dozen pens under your belt. obviously you are a natural.

dw

Daniel,

I hope the latest photo shows the pen better. The big deal for me was the full wood lower barrel. And I wanted to be able to put a pump inside the lower barrel too. These kits come with a black metal reciever post (is that the right terminology?) but I hate the looks of a pen like that. It looks chopped off and cobbled to me.

I can do an article, if people are really interested but I doubt I've much to offer that the regulars don't already have mastered. But it was a big deal for me.

DWFII

timdaleiden

Very nice job, your careful crafting skills are obvious. When I looked at your album, you seemed to prefer the picture on the graph paper, but I like the leather background much better. I personanally am a lousy pen photographer, but I have seen many pen photos. I see that Daniel is now moderating a new forum here on pen photography.

dw

Thanks Tim,

I like the leather too but I really wanted to showcase that lower barrel and the shadow on those photos (no fault of the leather) obscured that sweet tip. I had taken photos throughout the process of making the pen and, because it was so dark, on several different backgrounds. I have a digital camera (who doesn't) and I don't do too much in the way of manual settings. but like I said, it was hard to get a background that didn't effect exposure and focus. I know almost nothing about cameras but I have this notion that if the background is too dark, these automatic cameras focus on the background.

Pardon me if I'm sounding a bit over-excited, but truth to tell that's exactly how I feel. Yesterday I was really bummed after blowing the Zircote attempt. To top that off I tried to shorten a shim I made to fit inside the "V" barrel tubes so that I could trim the blanks and I broke it too! So yesterday was a learning day. Today it all came together. Phew!!

Scott

Hi DW!

I like it! That bottom barrel did turn out nice! Yes, please consider an article on the subject, especially on how you did the full wood bottom barrel.

Scott.

dw

Danial,

I took some better photos of this pen--added them to my album. There's two new ones. Tried to delete the old ones but could get one of them to delete. Anyway. I think the focus and the lighting is much better.

Let me know what you think.

dw

Scott,

I sent admin at penturners.org a pdf version of the article you requested above. Please let me know if it will suit.

Daniel

DW,
Just read your article, as well as looking at your photos.
and Man I have to say WOW for both. the article is extremely good and thanks for figuring out alot of problems. I would be very excited myself so Ham it up. As for the new photos. man you nailed them. you captured the "FINISH" and that is tough. I think I can see your reflection in it. I can still see some of the grain in the wood. and for blackwood that isn't all that easy when holding it in my hands. Beautiful finish. absolutly superb. none off the little blemishes that I get alot of. A fine job on a very difficult wood.
I so wish you could have had this finished last week and sent it to the pen display. You are outside the "Box" in every way.
love the pen and the instruction only make it better. Great Job

dw

Daniel,

I don't know why I didn't catch this post earlier. I check in every day usually at least twice.

Anyway...thanks for the kind words. It kind of makes me nervous. I don't want to get to thinking I'm some sort of expert or that I know even a tenth as much as most of the regulars here. I'll probably make a hash out of my next attempt especially if I get to thinking I'm more skilled than I realy am. This was only my tenth pen (if you don't count the ruined prototype of this one). I was just dissatisfied with that metal receiver post on what is otherwise a very graceful form and decided to figure out a work-around. That said, Rich over on Yahoo challanged me to do a "built-in" clip. This is not so easy. RussF posted a short explanation and I think I get it. But I need to work out the details and the techniques.

I'm really pleased, however, that you liked the article. Maybe more pleased than I am with the pen itself (and I'm plenty pleased about that) But writing an article that folks can understand and that makes it possible to move the bar a little further forward for a lot of people, only gives back a portion of what I have received in the way of help and inspiration from the many fine folks here and over on Yahoo. Giving back...that's no small thing. I feel like I've done something valuable.

I had read somewhere that taking photos outside, in subdued light, was the way to do it. And that's what I did with these latest. I may never set my camera back to "indoors" again! ;)

Anyway...thanks again.

Daniel

DW,
I knew I saw Clouds in the reflections. In my opinion that last photo is cataloge quality. and that is really saying something. If you don't mind I may want to use it in the photo forum at a later date as an example of when things go right.
I don't see myself as an expert at anything. but I do know what I know, have opinions about alot of things, and most important I have done what I have done. adn inthat grain. you have worked out the details in making a pen this way. with that focus on your work I can't wait to see what you are doing with pen 100. I am at around pen 400 myself and have not pushed myself into this type of work yet. so I don't see it so much as being an expert but I do see that you will push the envelope in whatever direction you vision tends to take you. that's courage and creativity. you can't find that practicing at the lathe. Keep hanging it out there it's a thrill from this end

PensofColor

DW, Great looking Pen!.. I am so jealous...I just don't have the creative juices that some folks have. So, I will have to live vicariously through the group here. Keep them coming!

Paul Downes

While I am an amature at pen turning, I happened to notice a comment about blackwood. Blackwood is considered by some, or maybe many, to be one of the premier turning woods. I believe this is so because of the waxy/oily nature of the wood. I have turned 1 blackwood pen to date, and was not entirly pleased with the finish allthough I didn't expect much from that first experiance. I wonder if an application of acetone after final sanding, before any finish is applied, would remove the oil/wax from the surface and help the finish penetrate better? I guess I'll have to try this.

Evan

Hi Paul,

Acetone or alcohol is definitely the way to go to remove oils from... well... oily wood. If not, the oils will seep out later on and you will see patches (erhm... not like it's happened to me before).
I think there are some threads here that may mention that... and you can search the Yahoo Penturner's forums from the main page.

Evan

dw,

That is a great article, and an even better pen! Nice work! Oh, and an excellent photo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom