New & Old

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

papNal

Good morning folks,just want to check into this GREAT site.The old is me in years and the new is me in penturning!Before I get into the (I gotta know stuff) allow me to ramble a little (Old folks are suppose to ramble:)) I retired from US Navy and moved to Al. on lovely Lake Martin north of Montgomery.I home built and remodeled for about 30 yrs. until shoulder problems and laziness shut me down.Several weeks ago I received a catalog on penturning from PennState I think they have come before but had always chunked them.but for whatever reason I looked at this one.Long story short My lathe is due tomorrow.I have turned a few bowls and small stuff years ago so I'm a little aware of what to expect,but the info I've gotten online here has been great.I'm almost through rambling. Excuse the long post with no paragraphs,I don't know how to do fancy 'puter' stuff,matter of fact about all I do know about is how to spend money on Ebay & Amazon and how to goggle a little. 1.Is all brands of CA equal?ebay has a million. 2.Does CA and poly have shelf life limits after opening,or should they be bought in smaller amounts?I won't be making huge numbers of things.3.Any ideas on using wood that has been under water for many many years(other than drying it!)I gots lots more Gotta knows, but I'll stop for now,My typing finger is getting numb.Thanks again for great info. pap

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Verne

Welcome Pap, you'll fit right in with all us other old folks that asked all the same questions a long time ago.
Enjoy,
Vern

altaciii

Welcome to the madness, John. I'm sure that all your questions will be answered by our gracious members. If not all then do some searching on the search link above and learn lots of great new things.

IPD_Mrs

Welcome to the fray John.

Not all CA is equal. With that being said, they all do the same thing and hold pretty much the same. The difference that I have found aside from the price is in the purity, ie how clear the CA is. When using it to glue stuff together I really don't care how pure it is as long as it works. When I need to work a CA finish and need depth and clarity I want a CA that is crystal clear to start. As for shelf life the manufacturer says six months. We will get a little more if we keep the bottle in the refrigerator.

As for poly I generally use the Gorilla glue quick white which only comes in 2oz. Not bad stuff and I have never had a bottle go bad on me even in the stadard Gorilla Glue.

Again welcome to IAP and you will find that you are not old here, just experienced in life.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Welcome. Ask away and you'll get plenty of answers. CA is not all equal and the more expensive is not always better. Shelf life depends on your storage before and after you open it. Any more questions on CA, feel free to PM me.

tim self

Welcome John. Again, Monty IS the CA king. As far as gorilla glue, I have never finished a bottle. Great stuff but last 1/4" of the bottle thickens up. Water logged wood can be beautiful, depending on type. Normally darkens it.

Got questions, this is the place for answers. Have fun.

shull

Welcome John,
I am sure there isn't a question that you could post that someone on this site hasn't explored and could point you in the right direction. As to the glue question...I think the others have already covered the CA part. I usually buy CA and Gorilla Glue (Poly) in smaller bottles but I have the advantage of being about 10 miles from both a Woodcraft and a Rockler. Poly has gone solid on me before I finished the bottle. With CA, make sure you don't contaminate the tip when using it. I have found that as soon as the tip on my bottles get sawdust etc. on them the bottle seems to go bad pretty quickly.
Unfortunately I have never had the opportunity to turn waterlogged wood myself but I have seen some absolutely beautiful pieces made from it. Give it a try and let us know how it goes. It (almost) never hurts to experiment.:)

papNal

Thanks for all the kind replies,I've already placed a glue order with Monty.I'll definitely support the group vendors. pap (BTW if there are any turners in Montgomery area I'd love to hear from you.)

Last edited:

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome from Japan too. (Home for me is MS). There are some fine folks there in Bama that can help you personally.

Join in the fun of making some pens! When you have questions, just ask.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome from sunny southern California. I think it's SoCal but not sure as the temperature has just been in the 80s.

Daniel

shelf life of CA is around year. keeping it in the fridge even after opened extends this time. Oh and once it is open, do not put the cap back on it...really.

Top Bottom