New to this obsession …

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

socdad

I'm a retired teacher just getting started pen turning. Started with a basic slim kit & blanks cut from scrap walnut, cherry, oak I had lying around the shop. (I've finished 10 or so) I have spent several days / weeks viewing photos of outstanding work by members of this site. I am looking for suggestions for the next logical step in the learning process.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

glycerine

I'd say the next logical step is just more practice. I'd get a different type kit and turn it, maybe a cigar or a "capped" rollerball or fountain. If you want to work on some turning skills, maybe pick a pen where you have to turn a tenon for the center band. Take a look at the different types of finishes and try them. Work with some acrylics instead of just wood. Get a grinder and practice sharpening, I've been turning for a while now and still haven't done that fairly necessary step!

socdad

I've got an eight inch bench grinder with a home made jig for sharpening lathe tools.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCVqWR1FcM0
I've turned fishing plugs for years and started on bottle stops about six months ago. I bought a couple of American Classic Rollerball kits & bushings (Woodcraft); but the bushings seem to be the same diameter as the tubes? Either I have the wrong bushings, tubes or I do not know what I'm doing (I vote for the 3rd option) What might be one of the simpler pens with a bit larger profile?

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I would suggest that you get a bunch of slimlines and make as many different shapes and designs as you can, try several different finishes and different way of applying them. Once you are happy with them you will find that you can use those skills to make any type of pen you would like. If you can truly master a slimline, you can master any type of pen. The most important thing I have found is to relax and have fun at it, and never take yourself or anyone else too seriously.Practice and trial and error is very important. If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask.

Also, slimlines are not cheap easy pens, they are the most versatile kits there are in some opinions.

Fred

"I am looking for suggestions for the next logical step in the learning process."

RUN, run fast, run quick, but run ... to the nearest tree, grab it, hug it really, really hard ... step back and try to determine just how many pens you can make out of it. Be sure to save some of the most interesting parts for bigger pens and other things that get turned.

Go get a chain saw and put it and a box of sorts in the trunk ... you going to be needing it when the true "Turners Bug" bites you on the butt. BTW, there is no cure but to spend more money ....

Back to my first suggestion ... RUN, run, run!

Welcome to the maddness and addiction, Dude! :biggrin:

dankc908

I'm a retired teacher just getting started pen turning. Started with a basic slim kit & blanks cut from scrap walnut, cherry, oak I had lying around the shop. (I've finished 10 or so) I have spent several days / weeks viewing photos of outstanding work by members of this site. I am looking for suggestions for the next logical step in the learning process.

I'm a teacher, wish I were retired! Been turning about a year and I concur with what has been said here. I'm on my 2nd batch of slimlines (1st batch was 50 pens and 2nd batch is 100 pens) and I have, also, started working on Gatsby/Sierra pens as well. My next step is to try a dozen, or so, fountain pens. The most important thing is -- HAVE FUN!!!

Dan

fernhills

HI, YOU HAVE 5 BUCKS TO LEND, BEFORE YOU GET TO FAR INTO THIS ? The Classic can be tricky to turn with the fitting to center band. It gets kinda thin to. Once you master that you will find that all the higher end large pens are much easier to turn, just more pricey. Carl

Nate Davey

Welcome. I'm in the same boat you are. I'm still working through my original order of slimlines, but have tried a slew of different shapes, to include closed ends. What has helped me is to watch some of the tutorials from some of the luminaries on this site, then go out and try it. This site is great for learning new things.

Top Bottom