New - Need to be pointed in the right direction

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WoodJam

I have a customer who wants some "plastic" pens. He told me he wanted dark grey/almost black, but solid, not the swirls. That's all he's giving me to go by. I have the hardware already. It's the blanks I need. I've looked everywhere and can't find anything close. Would I be better off casting my own with a custom color mix? What do you think?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

Most of the acrylic materials are figured and swirled because that is what people want.

You can often find plain Black blanks or plain white blanks.

You may have to cast your own.

Sylvanite

Does your customer want "no swirls", or "no pearl"? If you mix PR or Alumilite Clear with mica powder, and pour well before the mix starts to gel, the mica flakes will tend to align before the resin sets and you won't have any swirls. The blank will, however, still have a sparkling reflective quality.

If you want solid color without any depth or pearlesence, you can use opaque pigments (such as carbon black and titanium dioxide) with clear resins, or you can use an opaque resin and tint it. It's easier to mix a color you like with clear, but you'll have to use a lot of pigment to make it opaque. On the other hand, one can readily turn Alumilite White black (or dark gray) with black dye. I haven't tried it, but you might also be able to lighten Alumilite Black with white dye. The trick is adding the right amount of pigment because the color doesn't show until the resin starts to cure. Some trial-and-error might be necessary.

I hope that helps,
Eric

frank123

Not sure how dark you would want it to turn out, but various metal powders such as aluminum and iron can produce a solid (and very tough) grey blank. NOt the run of the mill hobby shop stuff, the kind you find at art supply houses that cater to professional artists such as sculptors and such that make art castings in large sizes.

You can do the same thing with something like white Alumilite and a little black dye, but why not go for something that is different than normal?

mrcook4570

Solid black blanks are available. If you want the color to be lighter than black, just paint the tubes a few shades lighter than your desired color. You may have to experiment to get just the right color.

KBs Pensnmore

I have turned quite a few (over 100) of these. What I used, was Recycled Ink cartridges from computer printers.
If you can't find what you are looking for, PM me and I'll send you a few blanks. Some have different coloured chips through them, some are quite plain. I finished them with CA, as the surface can be porous in places. I also have some that are a grey/brown, these are as above but with wood sawdust in them.
Regards
Kryn

Top Bottom