New and need advice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

csiler

Hi Guys
I have been watching and listening for the past couple of months and have learned a tremendous amount from you guys so I thought it about time to jump into the fray. I thought I would take this opportunity to intro myself and also ask a question. I have been woodworking for the last twenty five years, making anything from furniture to 1/16 scale models of heavy equipment. I have just recently (last two months) got into pen turning and enjoy it tremendously. I am doing our annual crafters festival this weekend at the local mall and I am planning on introducing my pen turning. My question, is it a good idea to demonstrate turning for the public? I have done so with other projects but was wonder about this one. Any advice would be appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrc

I never go to a show without my lathe, I want to make as much as I can and turning does that. It brings the people up close. It takes me around 45 munites or so to get setup and turning, I never asimble just turn and put on the finish. Check my photos for my setup. Good luck

Skye

You defiantly don’t want to knock one out really fast while someone's watching. You want to keep a little of the mystique. Maybe do something with a lot of beadwork. You could also start with a jumbo blank so it takes you a lot longer to turn it to turn it down.

Oh, and don’t focus so much on the turning demo that you're not available to answer questions and make sales.

Hi,

Welcome to IAP as well.

I took my Jet mini to a show this spring for the first time, it was a 3 day show. It worked really well, I probably turned only 4 pens in the three days. I had a made up about 10 pen sets and had them ready to go so I always had something to do if it got slow.

Going too fast was never a problem, there are always lots of watchers with tons of questions and it's a great time to exchange ideas and methods with pen turners and people who are just interested.

I found also that the lathe was an attarction for those looking at my work and gave the strong visual that I made what I was selling (how many times do you get asked if you MADE THESE?)[:D]

People also like watching you assemble a pen too, sort of the magic moment when you are done and show it to them ...some fun times for sure when things don't go according to plan!![:0]
IMG_4585.jpg

I think it's a great idea if you bring your lathe, be aware of who is around you for safety reasons, and also check with the organizers if they are okay with you bringing it. I have two shows in the next three weeks, neither venue is able to support my lathe being there but that is okay...in the spring I have a few shows where I can bring it with me so I look forward to that change.

One thing about bringing your lathe is that it's more trips in from the parking lot with your materials...and last year I hurt my back lifting my lathe, so be careful and not be in a hurry.

Hope that helps,[;)]

Rifleman1776

As Skye said, if you do take it, don't complete a pen to quickly. Personally, I believe that taking the lathe removes the mystery from the process. Folks will see you working and think "Is that all there is too it?" But showing just a completed product that has been 'hand turned and crafted' preserves the awe and mystique.

Skye

Wonder if you could just display the tools somehow and leave the lathe at home? Hmmmmmmm.....

jeffj13

Originally posted by Skye
<br />Wonder if you could just display the tools somehow and leave the lathe at home? Hmmmmmmm.....

How about if you brought your lathe, but didn't turn pens? You could turn small bowls, boxes, tops, etc.

That way the demo would still draw a crowd, but you wouldn't shred the veil of mystery.

jeff

csiler

Originally posted by jeffj13
<br />
Originally posted by Skye
<br />Wonder if you could just display the tools somehow and leave the lathe at home? Hmmmmmmm.....

How about if you brought your lathe, but didn't turn pens? You could turn small bowls, boxes, tops, etc.

That way the demo would still draw a crowd, but you wouldn't shred the veil of mystery.

jeff
Great Idea jeff. I may try that the first day. Thanks Calvin

JTaylor801

I think this is an excellent idea...like it has already been said it will also take care of the "do you make these" "how do you make these" questions. Also I agree that you want to slow the process down a bit so those that are watching you perceive there is a lot more that goes into the process.

Case in point, I once had a part-time photography business. I did family portraits, weddings etc. I was also 100% digital. For a family portrait session it might take 45-60 minutes to do the photographs. After the client would leave I would spend a few minutes touching up the photos before posting them on the web. I always factored in a few extra days before uploading the images to the web. Once the client selected their images I uploaded to the lab and generally had the finished prints within 2-3 days. I again factored in extra time for the perception that fine work takes time.

JT

JTaylor801

Oh..I forgot my question I wanted to ask.

For indoor shows, how do you deal with dust and shavings? Do you ever run into any conflicts with the venue or the show directors when bringing in the lathe and working during the show?

Jerry

Jerryconn

I assume that the organizer will allow you to turn, If you are indoors you most likely will ahve to carry along your DC and a broom/dustpan. Some shows (in my area) are getting picky about insurance incase something happens.

jrc

I have plexe on 3 side so no one will get even a wood chip on them. The dust, in 4 years no one has said anything bad that there was to much dust. People buys pens from me when they see me turning one. If I was standing behind a table selling pens I would not sell many. Never give a discount unless the customer asks for one and that is if they buy several.

mrcook4570

I take a lathe whenever possible. It adds credibility to your work, which I feel is extremely important, especially when you look around you (at a show) and see imported crap being passed off as handmade.

I'm with Jim.. it's a good deal to have the lathe with you, but you can hurt yourself or your lathe taking it into shows. I have a Jet Mini on a homemade stand that has a box of rocks built into the base for stability.. all told, it probably weights about 180 lbs..
I was asked to bring my lathe to a show.. it was an outside show.. to demonstrate, but the promoter put me on the corner of the tent, with the wind blowing from me into the tent... my neighbor was a jewelery dealer and probably would not have appreciated the wood dust.. I left it set up for a conversation starter, but no turning. Still think I did good business. People stopped and asked questions and took more time to look over my offerings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom