New Motor

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I'd get one from a Jet dealer. Then you know the mounting, shaft sizes, power etc will be correct. You could probably find a similar motor cheaper, but then you might have to faff around to mount it.

GregMuller

Jet Motor

Looked on the Jet parts site and they want over $300 for a replacement motor. I didn't pay that much for the saw new. Gonna look around for a cheap new one or a rebuild.

Bobalu

I use this company when I need repair parts --

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/

I checked and they do carry Jet bandsaw parts, but without a model number that was as far as I could go. I know I can get Ridgid parts cheaper here than I can buying direct from Ridgid, but have yet to deal with them on Jet parts.

randyrls

You want to look closely at the motor. Most will have a plate on them with the information about the motor. Look for the "Frame Type"; this will be something like "56H". There is a whole alphabet soup of numbers but these numbers specify the mounting parameters, speed and shaft size, any keyway, etc. Take the motor to a local motor shop like Grainger, or Tractor Supply. You should be able to find an exact replacement.

Looked on the Jet parts site and they want over $300 for a replacement motor. I didn't pay that much for the saw new. Gonna look around for a cheap new one or a rebuild.

What size motor is on the saw... I bought a new motor for my 1014 lathe from Jet and it wasn't anywhere near that price... my lathe is out of warranty or I think they would have replaced it for free.... they've sent me two tailstock spindle bolts and quills for the ones I ruined drilling pepper mills.

GregMuller

What size motor is on the saw... I bought a new motor for my 1014 lathe from Jet and it wasn't anywhere near that price... my lathe is out of warranty or I think they would have replaced it for free.... they've sent me two tailstock spindle bolts and quills for the ones I ruined drilling pepper mills.

1/2 hp single phase 1750 rpm. After talking to jet it may turn out to be a burned out capacitor. took the old one out and it was not holding a charge. It may have been what smoked. Now I need to find a new one online. No eletronic shops around me.

1/2 hp single phase 1750 rpm. After talking to jet it may turn out to be a burned out capacitor. took the old one out and it was not holding a charge. It may have been what smoked. Now I need to find a new one online. No eletronic shops around me.

After I bought my new motor (I didn't check the capacitor before I bought), I discovered the switch was messed up... I had already changed the motor when I discovered the switch problem... I'm thinking my problem never was the motor, just the switch... so I now have a spare motor (I think.. haven't checked it yet either).

beck3906

Not wanting to to steal the thread, but I have a related question.

Can the capacitor cause the motor to run really slow? My Jet 1014 mini-lathe runs like it is in low gear.

I hate looking for a motor if it's a simple fix.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Why test the EASY stuff, first???

After I bought my new motor (I didn't check the capacitor before I bought), I discovered the switch was messed up... I had already changed the motor when I discovered the switch problem... I'm thinking my problem never was the motor, just the switch... so I now have a spare motor (I think.. haven't checked it yet either).

Hey Chuck,

Did a very similar thing with my bandsaw. Took the motor off, to a local repair shop. They tested, said it was NOT bad. Came back to my shop, direct wired the motor--VOILA!!! Now running on a 6 outlet strip with an "off-on" switch. Works great!!

Spec Grade

Okay, maybe a dumb question, but where would I look for the capacitor? Is it under the cover on the side of the motor?
Yep. Make sure you use an insulated handled screwdriver & touch it to both terminals to short it out before working on it.
Unplug it from the wall first.

Top Bottom