New Live Center for Jet 1014

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pgfitzgerald

Hey everyone,

I'm turning pens using an adjustable A mandrel and I'm looking to upgrade to a better live center than what came with my Jet 1014.

I've read in a couple of places that I need to buy a "short" live center in order to maintain compatibility with my Jet 1014.

Can anyone fill me in on what that means and where I might find a "short" live center?

Thanks,

Paul

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
M

monkeynutz

The "short" refers to the fact that there are actually more than one type of #2 Morse tapers. All have the same degree (angle) of taper, but some are shorter in length than others. At issue is the fact that in some mini-lathes that utilize the #2 taper, a full-length taper bottoms out before it seats, while a "short" taper can be fully inserted without obstruction.

LanceD

Just order a 60 degree live center from PSI, CSUSA, Grizzly, Little Machine Shop. They range in price from 12.99 to about 24.00.

pgfitzgerald

The "short" refers to the fact that there are actually more than one type of #2 Morse tapers. All have the same degree (angle) of taper, but some are shorter in length than others. At issue is the fact that in some mini-lathes that utilize the #2 taper, a full-length taper bottoms out before it seats, while a "short" taper can be fully inserted without obstruction.

Ah, well that explains it. Thanks for the info.

Just order a 60 degree live center from PSI, CSUSA, Grizzly, Little Machine Shop. They range in price from 12.99 to about 24.00.

I was going to buy the one from PSI, but one of the reviewers said he had to shorten it so it would work with his jet mini lathe.

Cool, Little Machine Shop has the short one and they say it works with the Jet 1014. Perfect!

Thanks for the tip.

Paul

Last edited:
I bought (actually it was bought for me as father's day gift) the live center system from Woodcraft.. it has various inserts that fit into the LC... it works with both the 1014 and 1442. it's a little pricier, but hey! it was a gift.

Top Bottom