New Lathe questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

Just got a new Jet 1015VS. The bottom of base (legs) are not 100% level/flat to each other. Lathe has a slight rock on the bench top. I shimmed and it's stable. I don't think the entire frame/base is off...just the footing. I can live with it if everything else is ok.
The main questions is the Break In. I do not see anything in the operator manual. I did not "break in" my other Jets. Is it necessary to run without a load for a while before using. It will only be used for pen blanks. Thanks, Frank

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

I'm up and running.

Attachments

• Jet box.jpg
    Jet box.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 164
  • Jet Lathe.jpg
    Jet Lathe.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:

Tim'sTurnings

Your set up looks good. Where is the variable speed control knob? I don't see it in the picture.
When I bought my 1014 I didn't see anything about a break-in period so I just set it up and started turning.
Good luck with your new lathe!
Tim.

jimmyz

Be careful when you retract the tailstock. I went too far and the quill got jammed up. Stop when the autoeject releases the live center.

WriteON

Your set up looks good. Where is the variable speed control knob? I don't see it in the picture.
When I bought my 1014 I didn't see anything about a break-in period so I just set it up and started turning.
Good luck with your new lathe!
Tim.
Knob blends in. I let it run a little and rechecked the belt tension. Drilled a few blanks... I'm ready to turn.
Be careful when you retract the tailstock. I went too far and the quill got jammed up. Stop when the autoeject releases the live center.
Gotcha. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_6960.jpg
    IMG_6960.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 153

WriteON

Nice, enjoy. Glad you have the vac setup on it too!

Thank you.... safety first......each and every time.

Here's the Jet's first born. It's a fun kit...great gift for police, military or firearm collector. (but the 30cal bolt is still the coolest and best value)

Attachments

• IMG_6964.jpg
    IMG_6964.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Top Bottom