New Lathe...New questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

nediver

So I got a new lathe a jet 1236 VS and I have some tools, grinder, and the wolverine jig. I wanted to get into turning some pens, but I do not have a bandsaw or a drill press. I guess I could buy predrilled blanks. I also have a tablesaw that I could cut the blanks on if need be. What do you all suggest I get in order to get started. The lathe was given to me, but I never thought I would need all this stuff in order to get started so cost is an issue.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thetalbott4

Biggest issue will be a drill press. I did without a bandsaw for several years. My first drill press was a little bench top model and I still use it. If you have the means however, Habor Freight has a floor model that ususally sells for $189 on sale that would be a better deal for now and down the road. If thats not possible, then $75 - $100 will get you a little one. Be extra careful with your table saw when cutting blanks. Look around and get plans for various jigs that allow you to keep your fingers out of the way. This is the beginning of the end for your spare time and money.[;)]

Dario

WELCOME!!!

FYI, I started with minimal tools too...used a wood clamp for pen press for more than a year, etc. so I know what you mean.

Here is a list I posted on another link...it may be intimidating but hope it helps.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11859

Things you may need (or just plain nice to have **) :
bandsaw**
drill press
vise
drill bits
pen kits
glue (CA, epoxy, gorilla glue)
barrel trimmer
lathe
mandrel
bushings
skew, roughing gouge, parting tool
face shield
dust mask
dust collector**
sandpaper (various grits + MM)
sanding sealer
finish (your choice: CA, FP, Enduro, Lacquer, etc)
pen press
grinder & jigs**

A lot of these you can live without (**). [;)]

Handtools: You can get a set or just buy each piece. I only use skew, roughing gouge and parting tool in pen turning. I am still using the cheap HarborFreight 8 pc HSS set (bought for $25.00 2 years ago). Benjamin's Best seems to have good reviews and are priced reasonably.

On Drill bits...take it from me...buy the set that AS or CSUSA sells and save yourself a ton of money in the long run.

Check Berea...I like a lot of their kits. You will be better off buying the accessories direct from them...but for kits you might get better deal from Bill Baumbeck at Arizona Silhouette. I think BB charges more for the bushings, mandrels, drill bits, etc.

CSUSA also have nice kits...especially their high end ones.

Other suppliers worth cheking are Beartoothwoods and Woodturningz

Good luck and welcome to the madness [}:)] [;)]

Dario

By the way, if you really can't drill yet...I can sell you pre-drilled blanks (for a short while) until you get your equipment.

I am somewhat busy and can't promise a quick turn around, you may have to wait a week before I can ship. (IF you decide to avail of this offer).

knottyharry

Hi Andrew,
I thought about drilling them on the lathe, but for what you will spend on a chuck, I would put the money into a drill press...it will come in handy for other things also that you can't do on the lathe.
Take Dario up on his offer as well until you can get the drill press.
Also if you can't get a floor model...go for the taller bench top model.
Don't get a short one and find out that it isn't tall enough to drill your blanks after you get the drill bit in it.
A lot of us started where you are, and added to as we could.
Good luck,
Harry

TomServo

Dario: you forgot to mention a chainsaw for collecting local woods :)

You can use a hand drill - I got away with this for months.. just drill straight and keep it under control. but you must drill the entire blank as one piece - your bit won't go thru the end (hopefully) and you can avoid blowout. then just cut your barrel pieces from that

Charles

I would check out the drill presses at HF. But, like someone said, don't buy the 8" model 5 speed. I did that and you find you can't drill through the blanks all the way on executives etc. Buy the floor model if possible, you will use it for more than you think. Also, in the mean time, woodcraft carries predrilled and tubes glued blanks for certain pens if Dario is short on time.
Welcome to the addiction!!

alamocdc

Tractor supply has a floor model DP for ~ $169. IIRC, William Cavinaugh bought one of these and has been relatively happy with it. Been looking at one myself.

gerryr

I do all my drilling on the lathe. You can get a very good Jacobs chuck from HF for $9.99. I bought one to replace my $30 Crapsman chuck and it's very good, worth at least twice what I paid. I would also recommend a 1" round nose scraper for things like antler and acyrlics. I don't even own a roughing gouge, I use my skew, just like Alan Lacer does.

terrymiller

What part of the country are you in there are a lot of people on this board and I'm sure that someone lives close to you and might be able to help. I live in Virginia Beach, Va. If your close e-mail me and I can help.

Rifleman1776

Agree with the others that a good drill press is the way to go. But, understanding budget considerations all too well, the chuck on lathe is an excellent alternative. Whether or not you eventually get a drill press, the chuck will come in handy for other projects down the line. I have two for my lathe and they are used frequently.

pmburk

I have a table-top drillpress in a very small shop. I use a machinist vise to hold my blank and center it under the bit. Then I drill as far as my arbor will go, keep the bit in the blank and raise up the bit, blank, and drilling jig as one and raise the platform and finish drilling the hole. It took a few ruined blanks until I got my techique down.

I have two drill presses and I drill all my pen blanks on the lathe. But this only works well if you have a scroll or collet chuck.

I've noticed somewhere a drill chuck with a taper for around $25

vick

I am with Ron on this I have a drill press but drill all of my blanks on my lathe. If you have other use for a drill press it may be worth it to buy, but otherwise invest the money in a chuck (not talking the jacobs(drill) chuck but the headstock bowl chuck.

If you are doing smaller pens (7mm) you should be able to drill blanks with a hand held drill with out much problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom