New lathe for drilling and pen turning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dwilloby

Hello!

I've been turning pens for a few years on my Penn State Turncrafter machine, and I'm looking to make an equipment upgrade. I also have a desktop drill press, but it doesn't do a very good job of drilling blanks straight. I've tried drilling on my lathe as well, but I have the same issues there.

Can you give me some recommendations on a good lathe for turning and drilling blanks? I would like to get either a 10" or a 12". I don't plan on turning anything bigger than pens. Can I get a high quality lathe for under $800?

Thank you for your guidance!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
A friend of mine bought this Rikon at Woodcraft, likes it very much, its $649 but goes on sale every now and then.

Edit: In fact, as I was typing this, I got an email from Woodcraft with their August sale flyer - beginning August 5, all Rikon tools are 15% off.

Last edited:

stonepecker

Looks at a Jet or Rikon. I have both for different reasons.
Either will work and you can turn bigger "small" items on them. Use the Turncraft as a buffing station. You could also set it up, with some easy swaps, as a place to 'true' your blanks.
Drilling your blanks on a bigger lathe is easier. Having a second lathe means (for me) that I can leave things to spin/dry/thnik about without removing them.....and still keep busy.

Look what features they have and pick the one you like best.
Good luck.

jallan

I also have the Rikon 70-220VSR which I bought on sale from woodcraft about 9 months ago and just love it. Works great.

corgicoupe

I have an ancient Rockwell Delta lathe, and I've found it to be better than my drill press for boring the holes. I think the chuck is the key to success.

JimB

Your drilling problem may be your process rather than the tools. Just something to consider.

As others have said, Jet or Rikon in your price range are very good lathes.

mecompco

Just throwing this out there, but a metal lathe is pretty handy to have around--I have no problem drilling perfect holes every time with mine. Also use it for squaring blanks, sanding, finishing and as an assembly press. An older used one is fine and might fit into your budget, even with purchasing a new wood lathe.

Regards,
Michael

dwilloby

Your drilling problem may be your process rather than the tools. Just something to consider.

That is a very distinct possibility, because I'm having the same problem with my drill press and my lathe. The hole in my blank is always a little too big, and then I have to fill the gap with glue. When I get the pen turned down, I end up with a space at the tip of the pen with no material, just glue.

I'm using medium CA to glue my tubes in. Would an expanding glue help center the tube in the blank?

mecompco

That is a very distinct possibility, because I'm having the same problem with my drill press and my lathe. The hole in my blank is always a little too big, and then I have to fill the gap with glue. When I get the pen turned down, I end up with a space at the tip of the pen with no material, just glue.

I'm using medium CA to glue my tubes in. Would an expanding glue help center the tube in the blank?

The hole in the blank should be pretty close to the tube's diameter. I've gotten some bits off Amazon that would not drill a straight hole (12.5 and 10.5MM). Got new bits and they are much more accurate. I've pretty much given up on CA. Epoxy, I find, fills any voids much better. Not to mention the additional working time it gives you, even the 5 minute stuff.

I know my lathe is accurate as these were the only size holes that were off sized. If you use CA and the hole is too large, there is a good chance the blank will blow up on the lathe (at least, that has been my experience).

Regards,
Michael

jttheclockman

When someone comes on here and tells us of problems, what follows is a whole bunch of guesses and they are the same guesses over and over.

You do not give us any indication how you are drilling, what bits you are using, what method on the lathe or drill press you are drilling. What is the table top drill press. No glue will center a tube in a blank so forget that theory. Give us a few answers to these questions and then we can direct you where to start looking.

As far as lathe goes, I would not go less than a 12" and would not get it without VS. I am a Jet fan so that is my vote if you are keeping score.

Help us help you. :)

JimB

There are a lot of things that could be causing your problem. Others have made some suggestions. Your bits could be dull causing them to wander, you not be clearing your chips enough, bent bits etc etc etc.

As already mentioned glue is not the solution if your holes are oversized as the glue will not center your tube. Also, don't use medium ca. If you are going to use CA use thick. Consider using epoxy.

Look at John T response and answer his questions. You will get better responses that way.

Top Bottom