New Lathe already?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

seht

Last Christmas I received a Rikon lathe for Christmas.
I love it, it has worked great for me.

What I am missing is I'd like to have variable speed without swapping belts, and I'd like a bigger lathe.

I think I'm hooked on turning but would like to do some bigger things as well as pens. I'd like to do bowls as well.

Suggestions on an upgrade lathe with variable speed that I could also turn bowls with.

Unfortunately price is always a factor, but I'm not beyond waiting and saving longer to get a good product.

So what I am looking for is recommendations for my next lathe.

Thanks

Scott

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

The Rikon is the same size as the Jet Mini and Delta Midi and I know a lot of turners here locally who make some really nice bowls on these lathes. You don't need a big lathe for bowls, unless you want to make really big bowls. Spend some money on good tools and explore what you can do with the Rikon.

As far as the variable speed goes, I don't have it on my Jet mini, but I only use two speeds and don't find changing the belt a big deal. The Jet Mini VS has speed ranges and it's only really variable within each range, then you still have to change the belt to change the speed range.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by gerryr
<br />The Rikon is the same size as the Jet Mini and Delta Midi and I know a lot of turners here locally who make some really nice bowls on these lathes. You don't need a big lathe for bowls, unless you want to make really big bowls. Spend some money on good tools and explore what you can do with the Rikon.

As far as the variable speed goes, I don't have it on my Jet mini, but I only use two speeds and don't find changing the belt a big deal. The Jet Mini VS has speed ranges and it's only really variable within each range, then you still have to change the belt to change the speed range.
Actually the Rikon is bigger than a Jet Mini.
I have both.
The Rikon is a 12/16, the Jet is a 10/14
If you thjink changing the speeds on the Rikon is difficult you should try a JEt.
I can change speeds on the Rikon with one hand in less than 5 seconds.
Have you considered having a Riser made for the Rikon?
I have seen others do this.
You would need a different belt but getting two pieces made to raise the head stock and the tail stock a couple of inches would be a lot cheaper than a new lathe.It would serve you well till you get a lathe witha ll the bells and whistles you want.
You'd have to live with changing the speeds but if life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

bjackman

Eagle,
Interestingly, my experience with changing belt positions/speeds is the mirror image opposite of yours.
Can change the speeds on my jet mini in seconds with out even looking, but find it a major PITA to change the speeds on my rikon.
To be fair I have spent much, much more time turning on my jet than on the rikon.

Dario

Look at the Jet 1642 like this
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00064NGRE/103-1681388-6092618?v=glance&n=228013
or
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00064NGRO/sr=1-12/qid=1154028698/ref=sr_1_12/103-1681388-6092618?ie=UTF8&s=hi

Check with Charles (Tangboy5000) before you buy if you decide to go with this lathe. [;)]

jeffj13

Consider used. I bought a used Jet 1236 that was in great shape for $250.

Check you local paper, turninng message boards, ebay and craigslist. Something will come along.

jeff

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by bjackman
<br />Eagle,
Interestingly, my experience with changing belt positions/speeds is the mirror image opposite of yours.
Can change the speeds on my jet mini in seconds with out even looking, but find it a major PITA to change the speeds on my rikon.
To be fair I have spent much, much more time turning on my jet than on the rikon.
I have found the Jet "more difficult" since getting the Rikon.I mean open the cover and everything is right there.
That is odd.
With the Jet I have learned to count the "steps" in the pulleys with my fingers.
I have them both postitioned with a shelf over them and a "back splash" behind them so I need to change the Jet by feel.
You reminded me of a funny post that was asked on the Woddnet forum .
A member wanted to know how we were able to articulate our arms to change the belt on the top pulley through the side door.
In all the time he had the lathe he never noticed that the back of the headstock had a flip down cover to access the belt.
I always thought it was amazing that you don't need to have a license to buy certain tools, just money.
He went on to buy a chain saw.
I shudder to think.

les-smith

Originally posted by jeffj13
<br />Consider used. I bought a used Jet 1236 that was in great shape for $250.

Sounds like Jeff got a good deal. I've been looking at it at Woodcraft. Amazon has it:

http://www.amazon.com/708352-JWL-12...1/ref=sr_1_2/104-8117969-5060708?ie=UTF8&s=hi

To me it seems like a good deal, and it's not much more than the Jet Mini Variable Speed. The head swivels 90 degrees and it's a variable speed, mechanically. You adjust the speed lever for six different speeds. It doesn't have the cast iron stand. I'd like to see what people think of this one. I'm looking very serious at it.

Eagle,
He may have been the guy who took his chain saw back to the store claiming it took him all day to cut one tree... the clerk started the saw to check it out... The guy look up with wide eyes..."What's that noise???"

jeffnreno

I have turned on a jet mini for about 5 yrs now and had similar thoughts about a new lathe. Just rcvd the dvr xp from

http://www.woodchipshome.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?

If this fits your need this is a great deal on the lathe. It is a dream to operate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom