New Lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

crabcreekind

I have a grizzly full size lathe, and it was about 500 bucks. But it is off center on the outside headstock. Also the tailstock is a POS. I am looking for a new lathe but I wanted to know any recommendations were on a new lathe with a good tailstock and headstock, Good enough to make kitless pens. And does not get off center, (it is my biggest pet peave ever!) My price range is about 500-1000 bucks. thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drstrangefart

Oh WOW. Wish I could drop that much on another lathe. Mine is an Excelsior from Rockler. Runs about 200 bucks. Never have any mechanical issues. It's a great lathe, but you have to move the belt to change speed. Not an issue for me. Dad has a nicer one with the electronic speed control that is probably what you'd be looking for. I think it's the step up in the same line as mine.

Russell Eaton

You will get many different ideas from this group. I have the Delta 46-460 and a Jet 1014 and the Delta is my goto lathe for all pen work. It has enough hp to turn small bowls with no problem. The Jet struggles with the chuck and wood. That is my 2 cents.

toyotaman

I would also look at the Delta 46-460. I have one and that's what I use on all my pens and small bowls. Excellent piece straight out of the box. Every thing is dead on center. The price is very reasonable. You might find one used on craigslist.

bitshird

James, unless you need to do real long turnings I would suggest the Delta 46-460, Just make sure you get the right chuck for it, which has a locking screw so it won't unscrew when in reverse.
They are long enough to do Pepper mills and have enough power to do it nicely.

SteveG

I got the Delta 460460 because it was highly recommended...now I highly recommend it! A well designed and well made machine, and the power of the motor is just right. No need to spend more unless the length or swing are not adequate for your intended projects.

studioso

+1 on the delta.
I used to have a rockler excelsior. What a difference! The delta is such a pleasure to use, mine is perfectly true, and it's beautiful too.
I used to think that changing belts is no big deal, but the wisper-quiet variable speed motor changed by mind!

Check delta's web site: I think they are still running the promotion for 50$ off. Usually this is 650, but you can easily find it for 599. Check amazon too.

ghostrider

Here's a little something that may be of use to someone.

Don't know the particular model off hand, but I've seen this work one my friends Delta.

Router Speed Control

I originally bought it for my lathe, but it didn't work, so I told him he could try it with his lathe and it worked. Now he has a variable speed Delta, and it was only $15.

Last edited:

fernandorosa

For here in Brazil we do not have the amount of lathes that you have
I'm waiting for my son to bring a bag to make it an import
the rate is 60% more freight going to 50%
This for a retiree is too expensive
So I'm going around using my home that I myself costrui
A I have two large and one small
Some measures:
The first large-capacity "-the distance between centers 40" variable speed (electronically) 150-3600 rpm
The small-capacity 5 "-distance between centers 12" - variable speed (dimmer)
The photos show details
Fernando
"Who does not have hunting dog with Cat"

Attachments

• torno grande 2.jpg
    torno grande 2.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 125
  • torno grande.jpg
    torno grande.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 131
  • SAM_0023.jpg
    SAM_0023.jpg