NEW LATHE

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JOEHILL7

I NEED A NEW LATHE I HAVE NARROWED MY SEARCH TO TWO.
THE NEW PSI COMMANDER AND($399 WHEN AVAILABLE) THE DELTA 46-460 VS($599).
I ONLY TURN PENS AND OTHER SMALL ITEMS(NO BOWLS) I AM INTRESTED IN VS ONLY.
I WILL PURCHASE AT THE END OF SUMMER AS I WILL BE FLY FISHING THE NEXT 3 MONTHS.
ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT.
THANKS JOE

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

I would buy the Delta. It is quite an impressive lathe and Delta has a solid reputation in standing behind their products. The PSI Commander LOOKS impressive, but the availability date has been pushed out several times. This leads me to believe there may be issues with this new model. Additionally, I like to let a product settle in the market place and read user reviews before plopping down my hard-earned cash. Every review I have read on the Delta has been wonderful, and having a chance to (briefly) use a friend's Delta, I found it to be awesome.

Stango

I just read the specs on the Delta..... my concern would be that I would need to manually change the belt several times to get the speeds I need for turning and finishing one pen. Seems that the 'varriable' portion is too small and belt changes are needed. Never used either just my 2 cents on the Delta.

Motor Control: Electric Variable Speed
Speed: 250 - 700, 600 - 1.800 and 1,350 - 4,000 rpm

I use like 500 for square rough turning, 1500 for general turning and 2500 - 3000 for sanding and polishing. That would require using all 3 belt positions.

I suppose I could use 600 - 1800 for starting but would have to bump up the belt for finishing.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
I just read the specs on the Delta..... my concern would be that I would need to manually change the belt several times to get the speeds I need for turning and finishing one pen. Seems that the 'varriable' portion is too small and belt changes are needed. Never used either just my 2 cents on the Delta.

Motor Control: Electric Variable Speed
Speed: 250 - 700, 600 - 1.800 and 1,350 - 4,000 rpm

I use like 500 for square rough turning, 1500 for general turning and 2500 - 3000 for sanding and polishing. That would require using all 3 belt positions.

I suppose I could use 600 - 1800 for starting but would have to bump up the belt for finishing.

Generally when you operate a motor in VS mode a 3:1 range from high to low speed is fairly standard for continuous duty motors. To go beyond that 3:1 range without thermal issues, you need an inverter duty motor which is more expensive.

For a non-lathe project at work I have an inverter duty motor that I can operate for days on end anywhere from 100 RPM to 5500 RPM with no thermal problems. This 3/4 HP motor weighs more than a whole midi-lathe.

Padre

I own the 46-460 and love it. I have had it for about 5 months now and have never changed the belts. It is a variable speed drive that has more than enough variation that I have found belt change is not necessary.

jwoodwright

The Delta Rep demoed this new lathe and if I didn't have a Jet Mini VS and a Powermatic 4224, I'd get one...

The belt is huge! Up front change and a simple lever! Change over is mere seconds...

Go and check out this lathe, you won't be disappointed...

Rangertrek

I have the Delta and did the review listed above. I use only the middle belt position for pens. It give me enough variation for sanding, cutting, finishing. So, no belt changes for me. BTW, its takes literally about 15 seconds to change the belt.

I do change the belt to the lower position for bowls and larger objects.

Still very satisfied with mine.:)

Top Bottom