New Lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
My wife ordered me a JET 1442 today. Just wondering how many of you guys had this lathe and what you think about it?

You'll love it... After the end of the 2007 Holiday Market I had a local gallery buy out my entire stock of wood turnings... they bought over $3000 worth of stuff (at wholesale prices) and I got my 1442 in March of 2008... it's a great machine and I really love it. My only complaint at all, the Reeves speed control is too far forward on the headstock and at high speeds can be in the way if you're doing work close to the headstock at high speeds... only complaint I can give you. It's a great machine.

bitshird

You'll love it... After the end of the 2007 Holiday Market I had a local gallery buy out my entire stock of wood turnings... they bought over $3000 worth of stuff (at wholesale prices) and I got my 1442 in March of 2008... it's a great machine and I really love it. My only complaint at all, the Reeves speed control is too far forward on the headstock and at high speeds can be in the way if you're doing work close to the headstock at high speeds... only complaint I can give you. It's a great machine.

is there any way to move the speed control handle? is it on a splined shaft, or is it a one piece going through to the reeves coupling? If I had some specifics I could possibly make you a shaft that would wind up closer to vertical at high speed, any thing to help out an older man, I help senior citizens :smile-big:

is there any way to move the speed control handle? is it on a splined shaft, or is it a one piece going through to the reeves coupling? If I had some specifics I could possibly make you a shaft that would wind up closer to vertical at high speed, any thing to help out an older man, I help senior citizens :smile-big:

I had an occasion to speak with the Jet customer service and mentioned the lever... they said engineering was aware, but hasn't come up with a fix yet.
The lever pulls out to release a lock pin, then rotates to spread or close the reeves pulleys, then pushes back in to reset the lock pin. If you don't get the lock pin in place, the pulleys will spread and speed will go up until the pin catches...
If the lever were inverted 180 degrees, might be more better....

Top Bottom