New kits at PSI

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Turned Around

has anyone ordered the new kits from PSI?
the one that's caught my eye is the spring kit. I'm curious if it feels wierd when holding it to write.

Attachments

• PKSASS.jpg
    PKSASS.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 660

Turned Around

looks almost like it. i say they nix those ideas, and put out some more higher end kits.
admitedly, i'll probably order a set or two just to give away and say that i have turned them before. that's just me though.

renowb

I agree. They are novelty type pens. Customers would not pay much I don't believe, but I may be wrong..

looks almost like it. i say they nix those ideas, and put out some more higher end kits.
admitedly, i'll probably order a set or two just to give away and say that i have turned them before. that's just me though.

Whaler

I don't like that kit at all. I do like the looks of the new Majestic letter opener though.

Attachments

• PKMAJLOGP.jpg
    PKMAJLOGP.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 307
I saw those shock pens and showed the picture to a motorhead buddy of mine and he liked it. So I would say if they were showed to the right crowd of folks they would sell. I will probably order one to give to him.

hewunch

Ok, so the starter kit is one of each plating and a set of bushings.

Now they say that equals 46.75 but I get 38.80. No wonder this hobby is getting so expensive!

steeler fan1

Now they say that equals 46.75 but I get 38.80. No wonder this hobby is getting so expensive!

That also includes a drill bit $7.95, thus the 46.75 price.

Carl

Texatdurango

No wonder some people turn their noses up when "home made" pens are mentioned, the kits are looking cheezier and cheezier every day! And as mentioned above, looking more like the "100 for $49.95" novelty pens (complete with your company name) placed in a cup at the register for give away pens!

I'm guessing they feel horrible to write with.

Last edited:

hewunch

Carl

That may be, but this is what the description says. "This is a great way to get started making the Shock Absorber Pen Kit. You get one of each pen style in three different Spring finishes; Black Enamel Spring (Item# PKSAPENBK), Gun Metal Spring (Item # PKSAPENGM) and Black T/N, Chrome (Item # PKJPENBT). PLUS a Shock Absorber Pen Bushing Set."

It says nothing about a drill bit.:rolleyes:

Parson

Here's my problem with this new kit, well two problems:

1. No clip! It's a guy's pen all the way around, but has an eye hole for a chain? Come on!

2. I'm betting the thing is awful feeling in the hand. Who wants to push a pen around with a spring on it right at the area where you grip it? They should have turned the design upside down.

Parson

I'm Facebook friends with a guy who works at PSI in product development... he's probably on this forum as well. I sent him a PM through FB and said, "Why not come out with some high end pen kits without the stupid 'bling' crystals on them?"

cricket sounds..... cricket sounds.... cricket sounds.....

No reply.

If only these companies would really listen to their customers. I know they think they listen, but they've deceived themselves. That or they have no choice in the matter... the manufacturers overseas are calling the design shots and they must offer what is supplied to them to keep the customers coming back or interested.

Haynie

Heck, I got about a thousand valve springs around this place. Maybe I'll make me a few pens.

By the way, if you throw a valve spring correctly that sucker will bounce all over the place.

steeler fan1

Carl

That may be, but this is what the description says. "This is a great way to get started making the Shock Absorber Pen Kit. You get one of each pen style in three different Spring finishes; Black Enamel Spring (Item# PKSAPENBK), Gun Metal Spring (Item # PKSAPENGM) and Black T/N, Chrome (Item # PKJPENBT). PLUS a Shock Absorber Pen Bushing Set."

It says nothing about a drill bit.:rolleyes:

Your catalog must be different than mine. In the box it lists:

3 Pen Shock Absorber Starter Set
1 of each style plus bushings set and drill bit
# PKSASS SAVE $10.00
Only *36.75

*Kits in packs may vary subject to availability
SAVE 21%!

Page #3, upper right corner

Just did some checking.
Your quote is from the web site, mine is from the catalog. Wonder what you really get if you order it? Not that I plan to order any, I think they're ugly:cool:

Carl

Last edited:

bluwolf

No wonder some people turn their noses up when "home made" pens are mentioned, the kits are looking cheezier and cheezier every day! And as mentioned above, looking more like the "100 for $49.95" novelty pens (complete with your company name) placed in a cup at the register for give away pens!

I'm guessing they feel horrible to write with.

Well, that about covers it. Nuff said.....

jedgerton

Regarding Constant's question, "Are they running out of ideas?"

No, apparently just running out of good ideas :)

John

Last edited:

dankc908

I simply showed my wife the pages with the new ideas. She looked at the shock absorber pens and firmly said "I don't like those at all". I'm afraid most customers would say the exact same thing!

Dan

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
If only these companies would really listen to their customers. I know they think they listen, but they've deceived themselves. That or they have no choice in the matter... the manufacturers overseas are calling the design shots and they must offer what is supplied to them to keep the customers coming back or interested.

I think it is more a matter of who is paying. We think of ourselves as
their main customers, but we may not be. They wouldn't keep raising
the prices if people didn't keep paying them.. but someone *is*.

It used to be that kit prices were low enough to build some profit in
there and sell a pen that wasn't too unreasonable in price. But more
and more, I see the kit prices at what I would consider full retail for
a finished pen.
There's a lot of penmakers out there who don't do it as a sideline, they
do it for the kick, for friends, for gifts.. and for those people, paying
full retail is no big thing, because they're not trying to make money.
That means the manufacturers can eliminate us (the middlemen, so
to speak) from their pricing model because if we don't buy them, someone
else is already picking up the slack.

The same thing goes for the styles. Someone is buying them. So while
they may not suit our tastes, it is working for someone.

Last edited:

seamus7227

NewLondon88 said:
I think it is more a matter of who is paying. We think of ourselves as
their main customers, but we may not be. They wouldn't keep raising
the prices if people didn't keep paying them.. but someone *is*.

It used to be that kit prices were low enough to build some profit in
there and sell a pen that wasn't too unreasonable in price. But more
and more, I see the kit prices at what I would consider full retail for
a finished pen.
There's a lot of penmakers out there who don't do it as a sideline, they
do it for the kick, for friends, for gifts.. and for those people, paying
full retail is no big thing, because they're not trying to make money.
That means the manufacturers can eliminate us (the middlemen, so
to speak) from their pricing model because if we don't buy them, someone
else is already picking up the slack.

thats a very good point charlie

Sent from my Epic using Forum Runner

Boz

A few years ago I bought a pen like this from a car catalog. It was made of all metal and being a car guy I thought it was different. It does feel like garbage in your hand when trying to write with it but it looks cool sitting on my desk. But then again I have an alternator rotor from a 70's vintage Norton on my desk as a paper weight.

Jon-wx5nco

has anyone ordered the new kits from PSI?
the one that's caught my eye is the spring kit. I'm curious if it feels wierd when holding it to write.

Good grief, those are FUGLY! I could quote every post in this thread and say that you are absolutely right. While I can't see me purchasing any of these, there might be some that do. Who knows, someone may buy one at a show just because its different.

Jon

juteck

renowb

It seems like they advertise before they get the stock.

This new shock absorber style doesn't appeal to me either, but to some it may. The market will tell them over time whether it is a style to keep or not.

PSI also has a couple other new styles shown on their website.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKJPENCH.html (click w/ Parker-style refill)

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKMT7CH.html (Twist w/ cross-style refill)

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKMT8CH.html (Twist w/ Parker style refill)

Turned Around

I don't mind the Compson set. I threw some of those on my wishlist for when I do my monthly orderings. I think that it wouldn't hurt PSI or CSUSA to have a "guest" designer every so often. Like once a season or something. Maybe a limited edition (for that season) kit or a selection of blanks. They need to keep it filled with fresh ideas. Heck, have them spend a couple hours on this site looking for ideas.

I agree 100% with Parson's first comment (no clip). It IS a guy pen. But I don't think there are too many "guys" who would want it on a chain around their neck. They do state, though, that the ring is for your keychain (kinda large for that).

I also agree with Parson about the crystals. I think the Majestic Jr would be a wonderful pen without them. Personal preference.

HOWEVER - In my short time here, I've seen you folk do absolutely AMAZING things. How difficult would it be to fashion and/or install a clip? Maybe feedback could go to Penn State requesting this (that's my next task after I sign off here).

BTW - I know it's popular to rant at PSI but, frankly, I've had excellent results when I've dealt with them (which is fairly often). And I like it that their product line changes a lot. They also have another new one that I'm gonna try (the Compson). I'll post results here.

Last edited:

psilevy

Starter Set

Don't forget the 11mm drill bit valued at $7.95
Ed

psilevy

I agree 100% with Parson's first comment (no clip). It IS a guy pen. But I don't think there are too many "guys" who would want it on a chain around their neck. They do state, though, that the ring is for your keychain (kinda large for that).

I also agree with Parson about the crystals. I think the Majestic Jr would be a wonderful pen without them. Personal preference.

HOWEVER - In my short time here, I've seen you folk do absolutely AMAZING things. How difficult would it be to fashion and/or install a clip? Maybe feedback could go to Penn State requesting this (that's my next task after I sign off here).

BTW - I know it's popular to rant at PSI but, frankly, I've had excellent results when I've dealt with them (which is fairly often). And I like it that their product line changes a lot. They also have another new one that I'm gonna try (the Compson). I'll post results here.

Idea here is to resemble an actual shock absorber as closely as possible ... take a close look at a real shock absorber - has no clip.
Ed

Russianwolf

also the middle one is missing something down near the point.

that is because they dont have quality people assembling their pens for them:biggrin: It sorta goes back to what Drstrangefart is talking about with the government and stupidity:eek:

Maybe or maybe not. The middle one has a different finial too. The part holding the ring on the outside two is spherical, but the middle one is more like a post.

Snowbeast

Maybe I'm a bit old school when it comes to car parts, but I thought shocks looked more like this...
These PSI things look like struts on newer cars.

Just an attempt to make something car related for a friend to give to her mechanic. Too many problems with this one to give away to anybody. Maybe the next one.:biggrin:

Attachments

• IMG_4325.JPG
    IMG_4325.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_4326.JPG
    IMG_4326.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 132
Top Bottom