New kit for me- Jr Gent II. Quite Fat !

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrmartyking

I just received my first Jr Gent II kits. These are going to be very fat pens compared to the slims and the comforts that I have been making. Someone please reassure me that people like these very fat pens. I have read that this is a very popular kit but I had not realized that they were so large. Maybe the 10.5 and 12.5mm drill sizes should have tipped me off.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

I use one daily Jr Statesman fountain pen and absolutely love it. They are the same size as well. You should also compare the type of ink they use, much smoother writing than the cross style ink.

Sent from my Epic using Forum Runner

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Remember the physics!!

In a slimline and comfort, you are using a "cross-style" refill. It fits nicely in a 7mm (.2756") tube. LOOK at that refill, it is less than 1/8" diameter.

Now look at the international cartridge or a converter. Just under .3". So, the tube needs to have an internal diameter of .35" or better. The finished outside diameter of the pen has to be .45" or better (including brass tube).

Yes, those who have used rollerballs and fountain pens are, usually comfortable with this size. They MAY complain about the weight though, because commercial pens do not use brass tubes or weighted tops, so the commercial pens ARE lighter.

A well-balanced hand-made pen will be comfortable--just get your prospective customer to write with it.

Yes, they CAN be sold.

Last edited:

longbeard

I use a Jr. Retro Rb, same size (10.5 -12.5 ) Jr. Gent II will sell. I always like to watch a customer use one for the first time. (you can also use a gel refill in them) When you get that one finished, you'll want to make more, IMO, i dont like to "hump'' the body of them, i think they look much better straight, without that swelled belly look. But if you want a FAT one,(size wise) try a Majestic ( 15/32 - 37/64 ) plus some others too.
Just my .02 cents worth, minus taxes of course. :biggrin:

Last edited:

mrmartyking

Thanks for all of the quick responses. I also ordered a bunch of Sierra kits but have not received them. What a fun hobby! I love discovering the wood's personality when I start sanding.

Top Bottom