New JET Mini model

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

meshel

Jet has released a new model apparently for this excellent lathe, I didn't find any mention of it in the company site, but it sells on Amazon for a cheaper price than the older models.
The description says that it is exactly the same, but with indexing and spindle lock... AND it is cheaper for only $199 (non VS) and $299 (VS) + FREE shipping from Amazon

Click on the links to get to the page (Disclaimer: I am an Amazon Associate, buying the lathe through this link is going to put some cash into my account - I'm not sure it'll work but it might - So if it does I will donate 50% of the commision to IAP, and I promise I use the rest to buy me some neat accessories for my pen turning, in any case you can always use the links on the bottom to do this without my spceial link so I don't get a cent...)
Non VS Model: http://tinyurl.com/2um2yn
VS model: http://tinyurl.com/2qoj9x

(non paid links)
Non VS Model: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MIR9JA/
VS model: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MIWG6Q/

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodlvr

Just for your info the links for the (non paid links)are backwards.
The non VS is the Vs and the VS link is the nonVS.

Mike

stevers

Thats a great deal, Same as others, but free shipping. Although I noticed this,,,,,,,

""Availability: Usually ships within 1 to 2 months. Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.""

One to two months, excuse me. I'm not that patient. Three days with priority mail is pushing it for me.

kf4knf

I tried to order a lathe via amazon a few years back. BEWARE! I gave it over a month and no lathe was ever sent. I called and the lathe was still on a slow boat from china. They gave me a credit and refunded the full cost but it was such a waste of time! [}:)]

C. Scott

I ordered my 1014 from Amazon in the February of 2004. It took about 3 weeks if memory serves. I was little disappointed in the wait, but since it was delivered on my birthday I was happy and I couldn't have asked for a better machine for the price. I wish I had another one!

mtbrooks

I just ordered my 1014 VS the middle of January from Amazon and received it in 3 days! [:0]

Mikey

From wht I understand, the new i version isn't out anywhere yet, hence the wait time. If you head to Rockler or Woodcraft, I doubt they have them there either.

Anyone know if they charge your card right away on something that doesn't ship for 2 months? Strangely, if they bill me now and take the $$, I'll be ok vs if they take the money in 2 months when I have forgotten about the lathe and am totally broke.

Papabear

I got the first one out today. I will be giving my comments on it after I hear back from Jet on Monday, it was damaged severely in transit.

20072222911_CIMG0724.jpg

Woodlvr

Mikey,
I picked up my new Jet mini VSI last week at my Woodcraft. My woodcraft is a franchise so I guess that he ordered early. I put all three models on our floor for demo and have some in stock. Come to Utah and pick one up.[:D]

Mike

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Troy, Wow, that must have recieved one helluva belt to bend like that!!! I am very suprised that the casting isn't smashed too.

Are you sending the whole lathe back? Either way I will be interested to see how quick they sort it out.

PS; what's on the sandwich? Looks tasty![:D]

twoofakind

I unpacked mine yesterday. I like the indexing on the Rikon a little better. This one is right by the handwheel on the headstock and might interfere with turning the spindle by hand. It requires you to push in the button and rotate until you "feel" the hole and push in and screw at the same time. Other than that it is just like the original model. I bought mine at Redmond and Sons Machinery in Atlanta.

Andy

Woodlvr

I agree with you Andy the indexing on top of the lathe is more convenient on the Rikon but my Jet mini has spoiled me. I wish that the new Jet 12-20 came with VS and indexing I like the feel of that new unit.

Mike

Randy_

Originally posted by Woodlvr
<br />I agree with you Andy the indexing on top of the lathe is more convenient on the Rikon but my Jet mini has spoiled me. I wish that the new Jet 12-20 came with VS and indexing I like the feel of that new unit.

Mike

Give JET about 6 months and I bet you will see them come out with one. They put a 3/4 HP motor on the new 1220 so I imagine they would want to do the same for a VS model. Getting a new controller designed for a 3/4 HP motor and finding an appropriate DC motor may be taking their engineers some extra time. I think Rikon will do the same sooner or later. We can all sit back and see who comes out with one first. Whoever comes out first is probably going to sell a ton of them!![^]

Papabear

Ok, since I let the cat out of the bag I might as well fuel the fire some more. [}:)]
Here's the scoop. The 1014vs is discontinued and has been for some time. The 1014VSi &lt;---- notice the "i" very important...
Anyway, the 'i' is fully indexed. Other then that its EXACTLY the same as the 1014, according to Jet. The 1014i is the same as the old 1014 with the addition of the indexing head. NEITHER of these units come with a lamp!! The image in the flyer is wrong. THAT is the NEW 1220i, which HAS indexing, new knock-out bar location, new tool tray, larger motor. It is a different machine for the most part then the 1220. Here's a few photos... And yes, it was UPS... DUMMY's!!! [:(!]
<b>My First Clue something was going to be bad...[/<b>
20072444643_clue1.jpg
<b>New Indexing Pin</b>
20072444656_indexer.jpg

Ohh.. This is going to hurt...</b>
20072444710_man.jpg
20072444724_oops.jpg

DARN it!!! </b>
20072444738_ouch2.jpg
20072444751_ouch.jpg

• Stock # 708375vs <br />
  • Swing Over Bed = 10" <br />
  • Swing over tool rest base = 7½" <br />
  • Working Distance Between Center = 14" <br />
  • Speed range 500-3900rpm<br />
  • Headstock spindle threads 1 x 8 TPI<br />
  • Hole through spindle 3/8<br />
  • Headstock spindle taper MT-2<br />
  • Tailstock Spindle Taper MT-2<br />
  • Hole through tailstock 3/8" <br />
  • Tailstock ram traverl = 2"<br />
  • Toolrest length = 6"<br />
  • Motor = ½hp, 1ph, 115v ONLY<br />
  • Overall Dimensions 28 1/8" x 10¼" x 14 1/8"<br />
  • Net Weight = 69lbs<br />
  • UPS Weight = 86lbs<br />
  • Warranty = 5yrs<br />
Optional Accessories
  • 5pc mini Chisel = 709163 <br />
  • 3 piece pen chisel set = 709160 <br />
  • SuperNova Chuck with 50mm Jaws = 709344<br />
  • Lathe Stand = 708354<br />
  • Bed Extension for JML-1014VS = 708355<br />

meshel

Short Update: It seems that someone did buy a lathe through the link, and according to the report I got it shipped today from Amazon. According to the same report the commission is $12, so without today I will donate $6 to the IAP - seems only fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom