New Jet mini

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

hamonrye

Just picked up the new Jet mini/Nova midi chuck special. Noticed that the spindle has about 1/8" of horizontal movement. I can push on the handwheel and see this. Is this normal?? Can someone check their's and see if they have it also.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hamonrye

I'm talking about the headstock not the tailstock. I just spoke with Jet and they said to loosen the allen bolts on the handwheel and make for sure it was snug against the headstock and re tighten.

beamer

No movement in mine - got it about a month ago. I do have something else weird though.

My live center is a little noisier than I thought one should be. If i pull the thing out of the tailstock completely, the black metal outer piece that makes up the cup center part slips around a little. It's hard to describe - the bearing piece inside (silver assembly of ball bearings) seems to be loose in that it will move in and out about 1/8" - Almost like a pressed fit that is losening up. Anyone experience this?

jwoodwright

Hamonrye,
The "handwheel" is the "nut" for the spindle. If it's too tight, you'll build heat fast and it won't turn well. Too loose and there's play... Remove chuck before adjusting...

Like I found out and Jet said, loosen both Allen screws, turn Handwheel CCW (left hand thread) and then tighten 1st Allen screw. Turn Handwheel by hand, it should easily rotate with no side play. If properly adjusted, tighten 2nd Allen screw.

Using the "handwheel" as a brake will eventually cause slipping and require adjusting and retightening Allen screws.

Hope this helps...

xtremedelta

I got one last week and I too have severe run out, tried everything they suggested, it is so bad that the mandrel looks like it is warped beyond repair, but its actually the spindle (the MT part anyways) I had mounted the chuck with no visible run out but as soon as i use a MT tool i have wobble. Jet is sending me a new spindle gonna try that before I send it back.

hamonrye

Update!

Took the lathe back and we opened another and guess what, same issue. After opening the fourth one we gave up. Remember, this is the one with the free chuck so we opened a regular one and guess what, rock solid no movement at all like it was supposed to be. They are pulling all of the ones with the chuck and will check to see what the defect is and will call Jet. If you bought one with the chuck, check it. You may need to return it.

Dario

Hope everyone who bougt the Jet mini combo sees this thread.

I checked my Jet mini, it is dead on and rock solid. I have it for a month or so now but never even turned it on yet [B)][V]...still using my 1236 primarily.

beamer

Same here as Dario - got it about a month ago and it's been heavily used. Still rock solid, no movement. Must have been a bad batch or something. Strange.

As for my live center problem, emailed jet and they quickly responded and are sending a replacement center to me. Their customer service has been really good the few times I've needed to deal with them.

andrewleeheck

Bought my Jet Mini 2 weeks ago with the free Nova chuck too. No run out (yet), but then again I'm using my ex-lathe (a HF model # P.O.S.) as a comparison.

And by the way, who would make a lathe without a MT in the headstock??? (apparently HF!) Required 2 adapters and I still couldn't even get the head and tail to meet.

hamonrye

Update, did my weekly run by Woodcraft and the verdict on the lathes, so far 15 was the spindles were machined 3/64 to long. Jet at first was not to concerned but the guys at Woodcraft were so it was escalated and hopefully now something will be done. They are really concerned cause they have over 20 of them on the floor for sale. Thanks to the guys at Woodcraft!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom