New Jacobs chuck....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gothycdesigns

Hello, been a while since I've been to the forum. Well I decided to get a Jacobs drill chuck for my tail stock. Thought this might be better for drilling out the blanks. Since I have not used one before. Any pointers? Suggested speeds fast or slow and such. Till now have used my drill press but does tend to walk and then I get a off centered hole by the end on some materials. I have the drill press bed leveled as best as I can.

Thanks for your time and any suggestions. Also would there be any tutorial videos showing this process?

Ray

P.S. I have a Nova 1624-44 lathe that i'm using this for, if this helps you to know what I am working with. The jacobs chuck was purchased at local Woodcraft, can't think of the brand at this moment. But it was the one most recommended to use. ThX !!

Last edited:

Willee

I just recently added a 4 jaw chuck to my lathe ... and let me tell you.
I dont ever want to use a drill press to drill square blanks again!
What a difference.
Your days of blowing out the back side of a blank are over.
I am sure you will see what I mean when you start drilling on the lathe.

For the larger size holes I prefer to drill a hole then bore out the hole with a small boring bar.

I use the standard key type chuck in the tail stock but my buddy likes a key-less style.
Your choice ... as they both seem to work well.

johnnycnc

I like drilling on the lathe. Your setup will help if you watch a few things.
Keep the bit/blank cool, as usual...heat is an enemy.
If you feed too fast, too deep, per "peck" you can still run the hole off center, just like a drill press. It gets worse as it gets deeper, of course.
You need to retract the bit all the same and a lathe quill is not half as convenient or quick as a drill press. So, take a little more time and you will be able to get the good results you are after.
A center drill before the drill can provide a nice starter dimple to keep your drill from skating on initial entry, also. Not a must if you ease the start, but can be of help.
I use around 800 rpms, that seems to work fine for me; more will cause more heat.
Lathe drilling can be quite accurate, just give it the right opportunities to shine!

gothycdesigns

Sweet. sounds good. exactly what I like to here. As for drilling on the press I've never been to harsh. I do small increments as recommended. So cool. In a sense the same common sense as use for drilling with a press, just better results.

Also is a brad point bit still recommended? Thats what I've been using before, at least the 7mm. Can you get a brad point in 10mm. probably a dumb questions, but frankly I've never really looked for one larger than a 7mm.

800rpm I'll keep it in mind. I didn't think over 1000 was needed. But if its a good happy medium for you, I'll try it out. I got the lathe last Nov. and love it. a big step up from by prior lathe from....don't laugh....Harbor Freight. but it did just ok for a few years. But much better now on the Nova.

ThX !!!

Lathe On !!!

Top Bottom