New Ideas!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jlmort1980

Ok, kinda new to turning. I am looking for some new stuff or ideas to work (kits/material). I would prefer to get someting from someone here. I currently have just made slimlines and designers. Slimline after slimline gets mind numbing. If anyone has something please send me a PM and the cost.

Or if you know anything even if you dont have it, please let me know.
Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

Your best bet is to just read . The forums are full of ideas on different kits and materials , then decide for yourself . Go to the members photo albums and look at what has been done . Go to the different vendors sites and see what they sell . PSI ,CSUSA and Berea are the three biggest suppliers of pen kits and other turning kits and they have hundreds of different kits and things to do . Google is your friend , do a search for pen kits . The list is endless . Don't just depend on what someone else thinks looks good , decide for yourself .
"Inlay" is when you somehow carve out a design in the pen blank and "Inlay" another peice of wood or other material .
"Segmenting" is when you cut up a bunch of little pieces of different woods and glue them back together to make a "segmented" blank .
"Casting" is when you take some resin and mix in colors or embed objects in clear resin . The list is endless . now go read then ask questions about the things you've seen that you would like to try .

nava1uni

You mention doing slim lines. Have you modified them, changed them into a different pen. They are a great kit with lots of flexibility-make your own center bands, make them without center bands. I agree with Butch that you should spend some time looking at lots of different members work; go through the photo albums. Look at books on pen making and wood turning. Besides pens there are bottle stoppers, bowls, pencils, key rings and lots more, it is endless.

sbwertz

How about learning to do inlays?

Would like to try that sometime but unfortunately I know nothing about them.

Simple inlays (not the laser cut jobs) are fairly easy.
I turn a pen almost to final size. I cut a groove in a pen with an narrow parting tool. Then using CA and inlay material, I fill the groove, let it cure and finish turning.

I have used crushed turquoise, crushed jasper, glitter, etc. I also use it to fill voids in a blank before turning like this one. It can save a damaged blank if a chunk comes out while turning.

DSC01312.JPG

Here is the finished slimline

DSC01313.JPG

Last edited:

alphageek

Former Moderator
I don't know where in Wisconsin you are... If you're in the South East (or anywhere for that matter) check out the wisconsin thread for a meeting coming up in December.

If your in N.E.W, let me know and I can get you started on some other thoughts. What other tools do you have to work with? Table saw, drill press, bandsaw?

Top Bottom