New to IAP and pen turning!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

AshleyG

Hi!
I'm Ashley and I'm new here and relatively new (6 months or so) to pen turning. My husband and I both turn after he got me my first lathe as a gift. However, with him being active duty military and me with my disabilities, we don't have the chance to turn daily.
I was wondering if there are any "must know" tips that you wish someone would have told you when you began turning? Also, where is the best place to buy relatively inexpensive blanks that are of good quality? We only have a Woodcraft local to us and they are somewhat steep on their prices.
Thanks and have a great one!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

AshleyG

This is my most recent pen (Princeton) made with dyed buckeye burl that we scored in a grab bag.

Attachments

• Photo Collage Maker_AamQcq.jpg
    Photo Collage Maker_AamQcq.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 199

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Ashley.

Here is a thread I started 8 years ago and most of it is still relevant today.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f14/if-i-had-known-earlier-46654/

Lots of good information there.

And another here: http://content.penturners.org/library/general_reference/Getting_started_in_pen_turning.pdf

Up at the top of the IAP page is a blue guide to different things. In the middle line is the "Library". Click on that and look on the second line to "Pen Turning 101". several good bits of information there.

One thing has changed since the first two links were first published is that carbide turning tools are much more prevalent today and with their carbide inserts that can be changed, sharpening is not as big a deal as it used to be. Having said that, many of us still use tools that need to be sharpened regularly.

Just saw your pen pictures post: GREAT FINISH. You are beyond a beginner!

Last edited:

Beautys_Beast

Ashley,

You can't beat ExoticBlanks.com for the best prices on pen kits. I wish someone would have told me that. I had spent thousands at PSI, before finding out. Now saving fifty cents per kit might not seem like a lot, but when it's over a couple hundred pen kits, it adds up.

Learn to turn acrylic. You can buy acrylic blanks pretty cheap, and they don't require CA glue for a finish.

The slimline pen kit is your friend. Less than two dollars each. (Go with chrome, it holds up best) Learn to modify it. Throw away the center band, and you can make it any size or shape you want. Use cutoffs from other blanks and turn your own center bands. Cut a aluminium can into pieces, scuff up both sides, and glue it to both ends of the center band before turning, it will separate the types of wood or acrylic without leaving an ugly glue line. You can also use construction paper, old gift cards, or anything else you can come up with. (I enclosed a picture of one I have done.)

Every blank you turn, doesn't need to be pressed into a pen. You can use pieces of pine 2x4 scraps to learn technique on. Like segmenting, etc. If you don't like it, turn the wood off the tube, and glue it into another piece of wood, and start over. I do this all the time.

Lastly, message me an address, and I will send you a small box of wooden blanks if you don't mind Cherry. I have about 400 board feet of it and I save my cut offs from making furniture to make pens. From one Vet, to another, I would be happy to put together some blanks for you and your husband when he gets back.

Semper Fi

As ever,
M.

Attachments

• segmented 2.jpg
    segmented 2.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

magpens

Hi Ashley !! . Welcome to IAP !! .

Best tip was to learn to drill between centers on the lathe.

Watch for ads posted here, for the best deals on blanks .... for wood blanks, contact member wood128, Joe is his name. . Also RockB.

Last edited:

AshleyG

Good to know about exoticblanks! Thanks! We've ordered from PSI a bit just because it kept popping up in all our searches and showed to be a legit site.

We have turned a few pieces of acrylic but found we need tools that hold an edge better than the ones we have. We have definitely shattered a few! Lol

We would very much appreciate some cherry! Thank you! You're too kind! I'll try to figure out how to message you.

Thankfully hubby just got home. He was in Puerto Rico for hurricane relief for almost 2 months.

Thank you for the tips on creating our own centers! I never thought of that!

I'll try to attach some pictures of the pens we have done.

Attachments

• 20171106_081908.jpg
    20171106_081908.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 151
  • 20171104_130724.jpg
    20171104_130724.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 161

AshleyG

Thank you all for the info! Forgive me for not knowing how to use the site. Lol. I'm on my phone and can't seem to figure everything out. Yet.

Woodchipper

Keep an eye on the wood bins at WC where they sell by the pound. h ave found some nice wood there. One thread showed an inexpensive cutting board that was cut into blanks.
Do a search for "IKEA" to see the thread and the nice wood.

Last edited:

WriteON

Welcome aboard. You'll learn mostly from experience. Everyone will help you with any questions or situations. Please use and wear all safety equipment. Protect your face, eyes, ears, lungs.

Spinzwood

Thank you for the tips on creating our own centers! I never thought of that!

I didn't see what this was referring to.. How do you create your own centers?

Also, I'm not new.. but quite inexperienced at this point. Appreciate all the tips I've seen.

Top Bottom