New Here

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ribanett

Hi, my name is Larry Wirt. I live in Kenner, LA (about 15 miles outside New Orleans). I am new to this org and have been browsing the site for a couple of weeks. There are some very interesting projects here, and all the help being offered is fantastic. I don’t have a wood lathe, but my 8†Southbend metal lathe works just fine for now. (had to design my own tool rests) I have turned about 200 pens over the years, mostly to go with my briefcases. Sure wish I had taken some pictures of them, but that will change real quick, now that I have someplace to show them

The one theme that has me intrigued is making segmented pens. I have been making hardwood briefcases for over ten years (mostly out of Bolivian Rosewood and Birdseye Maple). I design and make my own banding (most of my clients want something unique on their case) so working with segments is nothing new to me. Just have to expand the dimensions a little, and some forethought going from flat to round.

Glad to be part of this organization, hope to give tips along the way. I know I will gain a lot of knowledge from the experts here.

Have a wonderful new year

Larry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jcollazo

Welcome to IAP, Larry. Sounds like you have plenty of knoweldge working with large segments. How about posting some pictures of your briefcases?

Marc Phillips

<center>
SmallW.jpg
SmallE.jpg
SmallL.jpg
SmallC.jpg
Smallo.jpg
Smallm.jpg
SmallE.jpg
</center>

Ditto again on the pics... would love to see those briefcases...

ribanett

Gang thanks for the welcome. I will post my briefcases in the next few days. I am just getting my house back in one piece. I had 11 feet of water after Katrina and had to gutt the whole house down to the timbers. What a mess!!!! Hope to be turning in the next few weeks

Larry

R2

Welcome to the frustration Larry. :):)
Would love to see pictures of your work.
Almost took a teaching position in Louisiana once. Backed out on account of poor pay rates![xx(]

Rmartin

Welcome to the IAP. Going from what people call 'flat' to turning can be a challenge. Square segmented pieces look very different once turned. For me, the biggest difference going from making furniture to turning pens is a size issue. The smaller you get, the more magnified the smallest details become. I zero my equipment much more often than I used to.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Welcome to the addiction, Larry. My son lives in Kenner, just might get in touch with you next time I'm visiting him.

Top Bottom