New guy slaps his forehead

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dick Mahany

Okay, I just turned my first couple of pens.............how much more fun can this be I said to my self ?

So I decided that I wanted to do one of those cool laser inlay blanks for a Sierra/Classica/Wall St II type pen. Went to a Woodcraft store today and saw this really cool "geared inlay" laser kit. Got it home and immediately realized that all those cool little pieces take skill (and probably magic ! ) to separate and figure out how to put them together again. Just my luck WC had no online instructions for this and didn't even show the item on their site.

I finally managed to get all of the little pieces separated, but the "barrel" is now in several pieces also, although cleanly split. Now I sit here slapping my forehead thinking "what if my wife sees this little mess that I just made for $20 :eek:) It looks like I can figure it out, but it may be awhile beforeI get this one done.

So to all of you folks who have mastered these things....... you have earned my deepest respect for your patience and craftsmanship !

Any advice to a rookie ?? :)

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hexhead

Go to YouTube and there are some good instructions on how to put that together. The biggest problem is blowout they just fly apart. In the YouTube video it shows you exactly what to do to keep that from happening. I think it's under segmented pen turning. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll go look for.

Dick Mahany

Go to YouTube and there are some good instructions on how to put that together. The biggest problem is blowout they just fly apart. In the YouTube video it shows you exactly what to do to keep that from happening. I think it's under segmented pen turning. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll go look for.

Thanks, I'm headed there now......

I did see a pic of this pen from about 2010 in this forum after searching.. The OP said definitely not for beginners, so I've some challenges ahead :biggrin:

Dick Mahany

Keep practicing. Which kits did you obtain?
someone here I'm sure has mastered that exact kit.

Thank you, I purchased the kit from Woodcraft ( P/N 854562) "Gear Inlay Kit" Searched for instructions on their site, but they don't even list the product ! (Surprise, surprise:rolleyes:) And with all of the talent I am discovering here, do doubt you have good advice.

Last edited:

plantman

:at-wits-end: Dick; I have put this kit together a time or two. Yes, it is one of the most hair pulling kits I have tried. My advice is to take your time and watch the size of the gear teeth, as some are bigger than others. I mixed the inner gear colors to make the gears thenselves stand out more. In the end you have a very unique pen to show everyone. Don't worry about breaking the barrels, sometimes this needs to be done to get the pieces to fit, you may even have to break the larger gears to fit them in. The last couple of gears are to hardest to fit in. Save the smaller gears for last. Jim S

Dick Mahany

Bob, Thanks much that's definitely it and a big help!

Jim, Thanks for offering your experience and encouragement.

I did manage to break only one gear and it broke cleanly (must be stabilized wood) so that I can reassemble it. I guess I thought that somehow I could remove the gears in the barrel with out breaking it also, but it too looks like it will be fine. Just more of a puzzle now!

Jim Burr

Banned
I did the US Flag Jr Gent II for my first one...I was a rockstar:cool:!!! Then, being all that and a bag of chips, I set out to do the USMC Sierra for my son. After several meals of humble pie and a few snickers from my sweetie...I landed back on earth. Pen still isn't done:redface::mad:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
One piece of turning advice.

After the pen is completely assembled---douse it in CA (thin). This will make all the joints stronger and reinforce your assembly.

When that is "dry" or "cured", THEN completely coat the outside of the pen with thick CA. Much like you are doing a CA finish, without sanding. Let this cure completely.

NOW, when you TURN the blank, you will not have any little edges "sticking up" to catch on your turning tool. You are, instead, turning a homogenous coating of CA and any small edges will just be part of the "round object". Chances of successfully turning are greatly enhanced.

(Remember if you "catch" on the lathe, you will have a NEW set of jagged parts to try to reassemble. A situation that is better avoided!!)

EricJS

One more thing that hasn't been mentioned: If you're planning on selling the finished pen, the selling price just went way up.:biggrin:

pensbydesign

Keep practicing. Which kits did you obtain?
someone here I'm sure has mastered that exact kit.

Thank you, I purchased the kit from Woodcraft ( P/N 854562) "Gear Inlay Kit" Searched for instructions on their site, but they don't even list the product ! (Surprise, surprise:rolleyes:) And with all of the talent I am discovering here, do doubt you have good advice.

remember stores are franchises owned buy individual who can choose to bring other product than woodcraft products. the web site and catalog are the corporate side and there direct composition call the store they should be able to get you directions

Rangertrek

The gear kit is the hardest of the laser kits I have done. Took a lot of time to get it together. Basically decided not to do that one again. I have had it at several shows now, it gets some attention, but no sales yet.
I probably have it priced to high due to the extra time!

Dick Mahany

Many thanks for all of your helpful suggestions

I managed to get the pen finished recently and posted a pic on the show pens forum. I was able to get it assembled with a ton of blue tape in the piece by piece manner. I did use the Lazerlinez instructions that were pointed out and it was most helpful.

I also heeded the advice to not use my skew until I had the assembly sanded to a uniform diameter to avoid catches and blow out. Worked like a charm. I used the purple/black dust from turning to mix with a little CA to fill any minute voids.

The recipient was thrilled with the gift and I have many here to thank!! (After this, my hair is a little thinner and my eyeglass prescription is a little stronger :biggrin:)

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
for my New Years resolution, I promised to stop sneaking into
Woodcraft stores at night and opening up all the kits and taking
out one piece. And that I wouldn't put them all in a Yahtzee cup
and shake them all up before putting random pieces back in each kit.

Dick Mahany

for my New Years resolution, I promised to stop sneaking into
Woodcraft stores at night and opening up all the kits and taking
out one piece. And that I wouldn't put them all in a Yahtzee cup
and shake them all up before putting random pieces back in each kit.

Ooh.....................So you're the guy who does that !! I thought those missing pieces just went to heaven :biggrin::biggrin:.

Top Bottom