New guy with question on Pentel pencils

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Teacher

Have a background teaching drafting in HS and my son is involved with an engineering company and I got the idea of giving him a pentel pencil redone with some type of exotic wood. So been doing a lot of reading here on the forum and have learned of two ways-- use a step drill or use end of existing pencil that has been turned down to fit in a 1/4" dia. hole. I have not decided which way to go, but my problem seems to be finding the correct pentel pencil in which to take the mechanism out of. Have checked wally world, no good results. Checked one of the office places and found two pencils packaged together for $10.00, I believe the number was a P205. Seemed a lttle steep for what I have read that is being used currently by everyone. So I guess my question is: What pentel pencil is being used?

And BTW, I enjoy this forum and spend a lot of time just looking at the outstanding work being done--- I have to try some of them and thanks in advance for answering my question.

Don

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gomeral

You found the right ones. The P205, P207, and P209 are the 0.5mm, 0.7mm, and 0.9mm sizes of the same pencil, so if you wanted to make a heavier lead pencil, look for those. (Typically the P205 is black, P207 is blue, and P209 is yellow.)

daniel

DurocShark

$4 - $5 is the going rate. Get the step drill and turning mandrel from rherrel over in the individual classifieds, if he has any left. It's what I use.

Office max sells non- Pentel pencils that look similar for cheap. Avoid them. They look the same but don't come close to the quality.

its_virgil

Do some online searching. You can find them cheaper. The last ones I bought were $2.90 each if I remember correctly. I can give a link to where I buy them once I get home later today. Also,Offie Max has an identicfal pencil to the Pentel which is cheaper. I can't tell any difference but others seem to think the mechanism isn't the same. Take a look and you be the judge.
Do a good tuirn daily!
Don

Have a background teaching drafting in HS and my son is involved with an engineering company and I got the idea of giving him a pentel pencil redone with some type of exotic wood. So been doing a lot of reading here on the forum and have learned of two ways-- use a step drill or use end of existing pencil that has been turned down to fit in a 1/4" dia. hole. I have not decided which way to go, but my problem seems to be finding the correct pentel pencil in which to take the mechanism out of. Have checked wally world, no good results. Checked one of the office places and found two pencils packaged together for $10.00, I believe the number was a P205. Seemed a lttle steep for what I have read that is being used currently by everyone. So I guess my question is: What pentel pencil is being used?

And BTW, I enjoy this forum and spend a lot of time just looking at the outstanding work being done--- I have to try some of them and thanks in advance for answering my question.

Don

Top Bottom