new guy with a question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nlynch0032

First off i want to thank everyone for the usefull information on this site. Ive been turning pens for about a month now and have really enjoyed it. Im from northwest ms and theres not really a pen shop close so i have to order most all my supplies. All ive really done is slimlines. Im wanting to move to a little nicer looking pen without breaking the bank. Not wanting to go all out with the fanciest just yet. So my question is what would be a good one step up pen that isnt going to break my bank. Im on somewhat a limited budget to buy kits so i was wanting to try something that i could get more than one or two kits for my budget. i like the slimline i just think its time to move up a little. Thanks for reading and thanks for any tips or help you all have.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ghostrider

This is really a relative question. There are lots of options depending on your perspective. Some Slimlines can cost as much as $8.00. While other places will sell a Chinese Cigar for less than $4.00. That same style made in Taiwan can start at $6.95. If you want the hybrid, it's even more. You can even get the Chairman (Chinese copy of the full size Gent) for less than $10, while the real deal at CAUSA starts at $16.80. It really all depends on which direction you want to go. (I have noticed a slight difference in the plating finish on the clips of some Cigars). You can spend a lot on more expensive kits, or a little on less expensive kits.

Kits to try other than Slimline are Cigar/Big Ben, Sierra/Diplomat/Wall Street/etc..., Monet/Le Roi/Gatsby (similar to Sierra, but with finial twist), You can get inexpensive rollerballs at at least a few vendors listen in the Links section. There's also the Atlas/Polaris, Executive (PSI), Retro (Woodcraft), and a few others.

Personally, I think a good place to progress to is the Cigar, or Sierra style pens (Including the finial twist variations), but that doesn't mean you can't try others. It's really a matter of where your interest lies, and how much you want to spend.

76winger

If you'd like to sick with a slender pen but try a single body pen, the PSI Executive and it's variants would be a nice one.

The Sierra/Gatsby and Polaris are single tube varieties as well, but a little larger in diameter.

If you'd like to sick to a twist in the middle type of pen, the Cigar, Designer/European are good options.

Then there's the removable-cap rollerball pens which take you to a new level and there's a wealth of variations in that class, if you're interested in going that big of a step up.

Robert111

The Graduate ballpoint from PSI is a nice pen for about $8. It's a two-barrel twist (like the cigar pens). But maybe a nicer shape, I think.

It takes bushings of 7mm and 3/8" for the barrels. I think the 3/8 can be used for some other pens so that will save you $$ on bushings down the road.

They also have a starter kit on sale now of 6 Graduate ballpoint pens with bushings and drills at a very good savings.

JamesB

I agree with the Euro/Designer pens. If you go to www.woodworkingshop.com there are some pretty good clearance pen kits on the last page. Now that I put that out there I hope there's a few left after I get off work so I can place an order. LOL

Tim'sTurnings

Wouldn't the Euro/Designer pen style require a tenon be made on one end? I thought that would be more difficult for a beginner. (That's why I haven't put mine together yet). Even though I am not a beginner.

JamesB

Wouldn't the Euro/Designer pen style require a tenon be made on one end? I thought that would be more difficult for a beginner. (That's why I haven't put mine together yet). Even though I am not a beginner.

Yes, they require a tenon but I thought the tenon was pretty easy to make. Ive only made one so far though. I'm a beginner, I've only turned about 10 pens, straight kits with no mods.

GColeman

How far are you from Bartlett, TN.? There is a wood working store with a pen turning section there. It is behind Wolfchase Galleria. I think they sell PSI kits. I am not really sure though.

Below is the link to The Woodwork Shop

HomePage

nlynch0032

the shop is about an hour from me. ive been there but they are kinda pricey on things. I have bought a few kits from them but prefer to order to save the money

ren-lathe

Yes, they require a tenon but I thought the tenon was pretty easy to make. Ive only made one so far though. I'm a beginner, I've only turned about 10 pens, straight kits with no mods.
It is my understanding PSI "new Style" designer' no longer require a tenon

JamesB

It is my understanding PSI "new Style" designer' no longer require a tenon

Oh yeah, PSI does have a Designer NT. I think we got ours from Woodcraft though.

Top Bottom