New guy needing advice....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

micah

Hi everyone! I'm brand new to turning and fairly new to turning in general. I'm looking at wanting to make a few pens for x-mas and was hopeing that someone could help me with my shopping list.
I have no idea what I will need.
What I do have is a lathe, and a pen mandrel. Of course the chisels and basics also.
I'm thinking about ordering some of the Cigar pen kits to start with. Will I have to have a press? Or does it just make it easier?
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks,
Micah

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scott

Hi Micah!

Welcome to the group! I think your choice of cigar pens is a good one. A lot of us learned penturning on a slimline, but I think the cigar pens are easier. If you have a lathe and a pen mandrel, then you're almost there. When you buy the pen kits, be sure to buy some bushings for that kit. A pen mill or barrel trimmer (same thing) is a good tool to have. It flattens the end of the pen barrel square to the brass tube. This can also be accomplished by using a sander, but the margin for error is greater there unless you have a jig.

You don't need a fancy press. I still use a Bessy K-body clamp to assemble my pens. Many penturners use their drill press to assemble them.

I would suggest that you use the most highly figured wood or acrylic you can find. Pens are small, and what would look like fancy figure on a desk would be plain on a pen.

If you don't have anybody to help teach you penturning, I would recommend a good video. It just so happens that the people who wrote the best book on penturning, Rex Burningham and Kip Christensen, just came out with a two-dvd set of videos. I have them, and they're great! Russ Fairfield, who frequents here, also has some great penturing videos, as well as Bill Baumbeck, who runs Arizona Silhouette. If you haven't visited Arizona Silhouette, you better go there next, because it's one of the best places to buy pen kits and stabilized blanks. One last suggestion is to check out the articles section here at Penturners.org.

Good Luck! And don't be afraid to ask questions!

Scott.

micah

Scott,
Thanks for your reply! I checked on the barrel trimmer, but to tell the truth I'm a little confused about it. I'm looking at the one's at craft supplies and I'm seeing differant sizes of shafts and barrels and ect..It would probably help if I knew how they were used [;)], but if someone could help me with if there is a certain size I need for the cigar pen I sure would appreciate the advice.
From you reply, it seems as though I will at least need something to assemble the pens whether it be a press or a drill press or something. Is that correct?
I will definantly look for some figured wood, I have seen some pics on here of some that you guys have done and WOW, their sweet! I have also seen were there are some guys on here that supply some of the wood, I will have to look them up as well.
I can imagine that watching an instructional dvd would be a bonus as well. If anyone has something that teaches some of the basics on up just laying around and want to get rid it, please give me a hollor. Or if someone here doesn't mind giving a few instructions around central to north central Arkansas, that would be more awesome.
Any other tips would be appreciated as well!
Thanks all!
Micah

Malkusr

Welcome Micah! Barrels trimmers have helped me so much. I started off just using a belt sander with decent results. The barrel trimmer made a huge difference. Most pen kits have different size barrels and need different drill bits and therefore different barrel trimmer shafts. The cigar pens from craft supplies need a barrel trimmer and the 25/64" shaft. I would reccomend buying all the shafts because once you get into this your gonna need all of them.
When I statred penmaking, I assembled the pens with a bar clamp. It wasn't the greates but it did the job. I have since mioved up to using a drill press with a bold in the chuck. Remember to glue a piece of scrap wood to the bolt and use another scrap on the table so you dont scratch you finish. As I am not in expert on this anyone who finds a problem with what I have said feel free to correct me. Have fun, the pens will be a great gift.

Scott

Hi Micah,

I personally use a pen mill in my drill press. I used to use it in an electric hand drill. Some people turn a nice wood handle for them and use them by hand.

If you need to buy something to press the pen together, then a reasonable choice would be a cheap arbor press from Harbor Freight. But if you look around you might find something that will do.

Many chapters of the American Association of Woodturners (AAW) maintain libraries of turning books and videos. Here's a link to their site:

http://www.woodturner.org/

If there is one near you, I suggest getting in touch with them.

If you would like to drop me an E-Mail (one of the little buttons above this message) I'll see if I can pick out a few interesting pen blanks and send them to you. (Note to all you greedy buggers - this is only for Micah! [8D])

I hope you enjoy turning pens! It's a great hobby!

Scott.

Rifleman1776

"Or if someone here doesn't mind giving a few instructions around central to north central Arkansas, that would be more awesome. "
Micah, I would call Searcy more central Arkansas [;)]. I live in Mountain Home. But feel free to e-mail me using the link you find here. Beginning is confusing. But, take heart, it gets worse. [;)][:p] Learning bushings, drill sizes, mandrels, whose kit under a different name is the same as someone else's, aud infinauseum can be a brain buster. Folks from Maryland and Texas have a particularly hard time with those things. You'll pick up quickly on it. [:D] Yes, you will find guys here that sell wood. I sell some, cedar, dogwood, persimmon, osage orange. Hogans Hardwoods in Little Rock should be a good source also. Good luck.

Dario

Welcome Micah!

The barrel trimmer cuts at the head. The long rod protruding out is just a guide to keep the cutter perpendicular to the tube...well it also cleans inside the tube a bit [;)].

I got the universal one but you'll learn it is not really universal LOL. Find the one that fits the tube and use that. If none fits, you can turn a "sleeve" for it. I use 7mm tubes blanks and make sleeve out of those. Works great! I know this may not make sense much yet but you'll see once you started making them.

For my first 100 or so pens...I only used a wood clamnp to assemble. It is slow and can be tiring but works [;)]

You will need:
mandrel(s) ...there are 2 kinds/sizes right now (A and B).
bushings for each different kit
Pen kit of your choice
Pen mill/barrel trimmer
drill/drill press
drill bit
sandpaper various grits...I recommend 220, 320, 400, 600, 1000, 1500, 2000 ...OR... 220, 320, 400, 600 then get the 7 or 9 course micromesh (up to 12000)
Glue (CA, Gorilla glue, epoxy)
Finishing (CA, sanding sealer, and choice of Friction polish, Enduro, Lacquer, or whatever...choosing/finding the right one is the hardest part [}:)])
Wood, ivory, antler or synthetic materials to turn
dust mask
safety goggles

Good luck!!!

BTW, I am from Texas LOL [;)]

micah

Malkusr,
Thanks for the info on the trimmer. Unfortunantly I'm on a budget and will have to wait to order ALL the sizes.[:D]

Scott,
There is a local chapter her in AR, I will hopefully get to get down to their local meeting next month.
As for he blanks...I'll send you and email! Thanks!

Rifleman,
Your probably right about Searcy being more central.[:eek:)], but I didn't realize y'all had electricity that far up in the hills just yet![;)]
"infinauseum"? You got me on that one bud!

Everyone have a Happy T-Day!!!!

Micah

Rifleman1776

"... but I didn't realize y'all had electricity that far up in the hills just yet!"
Micah, actually my woodturning club has a member from Mountain View that does his turning with a foot-powered spring pole lathe. For real. What local chapter in Arkansas? My club is Ozark Woodturners, we have members from quite a distance from Mountain Home. It is not a penturners club, all types of woodturning.

micah

Micah, actually my woodturning club has a member from Mountain View that does his turning with a foot-powered spring pole lathe. For real.
[:0] You got to have respect for someone that can not only accomplish results by doing it that way, but also the persistance to stick with it and not stray to the dark side (electricity).
I haven't been down there yet, but I was talking about the Central Arkansas Woodturners located in Hot Springs. But, after thinking about it, if the Ozark Woodturners are located in Mountain Home it would be about the same amount of driving time for me. Do y'all have monthly meetings and demos? If so, when?
Got to go to the Turkey Day dinner now!
Have a good day everyone!
Micah

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by micah
<br />
Micah, actually my woodturning club has a member from Mountain View that does his turning with a foot-powered spring pole lathe. For real.
[:0] You got to have respect for someone that can not only accomplish results by doing it that way, but also the persistance to stick with it and not stray to the dark side (electricity).
I haven't been down there yet, but I was talking about the Central Arkansas Woodturners located in Hot Springs. But, after thinking about it, if the Ozark Woodturners are located in Mountain Home it would be about the same amount of driving time for me. Do y'all have monthly meetings and demos? If so, when?
Got to go to the Turkey Day dinner now!
Have a good day everyone!
Micah

I'll send you the info off forum. Have a happy T'day. We go to daughter's in-laws in a couple hours for ours. Our son-in-law is in Iraq, their first anniversary is tomorrow. Unusual Thanksgiving for us all.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
You might take a look at the pen turning pages on my Website. There are a few things there that might be help you get started.

http://www.woodturner-russ.com/Pen10.html

micah

I'm putting in an order Monday to Craft Supplies for kits and supplies, and can't find CA Glue. I was going to use it per Russ's tutorial. Can someone please let me know if they carry it and where I'm over looking it at?
Thanks!
Micah

micah

LanceD,
Ooohhh... [:eek:)] I kept looking for something that said CA Glue.[:I] Thanks!
Another question....In Russ's tutorial it says to use medium thickness glue. I see "thin", "thick", and "flexible". Is it the "flexible that I need? Or do I mix the thin and thick? Or should I just get the thin?
Sorry about all the begineer questions....[;)]

arioux,
Thanks, I've got that ordered, just hasn't gotten in yet.

Micah

dwilasnd

I use medium for the tubes.
Thin as a protective finish coat.

Go here to buy your glue.
http://woodenwonderstx.com/CA_Glue_Page.html

Less expensive, get thin. Also get a medium or thick.
Accelerator and debonder is a good idea too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom