new guy getting started

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dalton

hello all,

I am new to turning but have been wanting to give it a shot. I enjoy other wood working and would like to add this to my experience! the only thing that has stopped me is the upfront cost of lathe and tools. well I just inherited a "mini" metal lahte. 7x12 metal lathe speedway series like sold at homier tools when a freind of mine moved away. it is a metal lathe but I found a wood turning tool rest farly cheap but before I purchased it I thought I would ask and see in anyone has used this type of machine for wood and if it is a realistice option for pen turning. it is variable speed, 2 speed ranges 0-1100 and 1100-2500 rpm. has a 3 jaw chuck and a drill chuck (not installed) and its almost new!!

seems to me that all i need now is some wood turning tools and a pen mandrel and I should be able to give it a try? since I have never really used a lathe at all (many other tools just never a lathe) I don't really know much about it.

any help would be appreciated!

thanks

dalton

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

Dalton, first let me welcome you to the addiction of pen turning from Far west Kentucky.
The metal lathe will work for both metal and wood. It also gives you the possibility of making some of your own fittings for pens. There has been much discussion about this very thing here. After you get into turning a bit more, you may find yourself looking at getting another lathe to go along with your metal one. Right now I would suggest picking up a skew, roughing gouge and a bowl gouge for starters. Most of us started out with a set of tools, most of which just lie in the box they came in. I am sure you will find many other ideas from the group. I just happened to be early. Have fun, make many shavings and be careful.
Charles

jttheclockman

Unless you are one of those learn by yourself type guys, may I suggest look for a turning club in your area. I did not look to see where you are located but I am sure others may be able to help there. There is no better teaching experience better than to watch someone do it. You will get into more than just pens and that is a certain. Pens will get boring. Unless you get into a good sales program you will be searching for new things. The next best thing is check out utube. There is a ton of turning videos that will pique your interest.

As far as tools and materials I will leave that to others.

Good luck and welcome to world where things go round and round.:biggrin:

Top Bottom