New to the Forums! Question!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brano11

Im pretty knew to wood turning and trying to get back into it! I live Lubbock Texas and attend texas tech. I ordered some Pre Drilled and Pre Cut pen blanks (since I dont have any of the supplies to do it). And I was wondering if there is anybody on this site that when i finish a few pens if I could ship them and have them engraved with some things I want on them or anything like that. If anybody can help me out PM me or post on here. Ive been reading these forums for a few days and seems like some very helpful info! Hopefully I will learn how to do this and start buying some products from some vendors on this site ! Thanks for the help!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brano11

Oh ok cool! I ordered some blanks and was gonna have some engraved for my brother and his wife. Hope I can get them done in time. Does anybody know if Home Depot could sharpen my tools ? Or know of any company that could lol?

markgum

WoodCraft can sharpen your tools. Don't know if you have one close or not. I wouldn't trust Home Depot to sharpen turning tools. Most of the people at our Home Depot, have a hard time showing you where the tools are; ..:mad:

Brano11

Haha hmm ill try and look somewhere that can sharpen tools. Wonder if Harbor Freight can since they sell woodturning supplies here?

nava1uni

Look in the phone book and I bet that you can find someone to sharpen them. Once they are sharp, buy yourself a credit card sized fine diamond sharpener and give them a pass over and you can keep them sharper for longer.

Nick

Sooner or later you will have to get set up with your own sharpening system and learn to sharpen. The Diamond credit card hone is a great idea. There are several good books available that will show you the turning basics as well as sharpening. There is a sharpening jig called the Wolverene jig by Oneway.
Ernie Conover has a book that shows plans to build a look-a like jig that you can build yourself. H/F has an 8" grinder and with an upgrade "white" stone you will be all set.
Good luk with your new found craft. Hope this helps you

its_virgil

Check the local trophy shops in Lubbock. I'll bet there are several and it wouldn't surprise me if most of them had a laser engraver. I have 4 I can use here in Wichita Falls and found one guy willing to work with me on engraving names. Other engraving I have done goes to Ken Nelson at Kallenshaan Woods in Las Vagas.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
I was wondering if there is anybody on this site that when i finish a few pens if I could ship them and have them engraved with some things I want on them or anything like that.

Brano11

Still waiting on the blanks....will be a while before they get here I think. But havent found anybody to engrave some things I would like on them yet, may have to ship them to somebody here to have them engraved.

Brano11

Also does anybody know of any site besides Rockler that cuts / drilles the pen blanks for you? I dont have the supplies to do that right now?

Top Bottom