New Drill Press

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

hombre4

Hello; I was wodering if someone could help me out here.I am in the market for a new drill press, something that will go deep enough to drill a pen blank through without having to stop and raise the blank to finish the hole. I have my eyes on one from Harbor Freight with a 3 1/8" spindle stroke . Is the depth called the spindle stroke and if it is, is 3 1/8" deep enough to go through the blank.

Thanks.....Archie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Archie, this is my choice... I have had one now for over a year and love it... you are welcome to come up and take a look before making your choice....
It is the Delta DP350 Variable Speed.. no belts to change for speed adjustment.. and it drills deep enough for all the kits I do..
You can get a good deal on a factory refurbished machine here
http://www.cpowoodworking.com/entire_selection/dp350r.html#

dp350.jpg

Rifleman1776

Grizz's Delta is probably an OK choice. The Grizzly floor model is in the same price range (for a reconditioned, much less for new) but has a 3/4 hp motor. To me, the speed changing with a pulley system is not a big deal. Just takes a minute and a stepstool. That's why it's called free enterprise/free choice. Compare features, take yer pick. Good luck.

dubdrvrkev

I'm happy with my new Hitachi. Its about the same money and specs as the Grizzly floor model mentioned above. It also has a little X,Y laser thing for centering the work, not a big thing but just another feature. The cost might be the difference between tax and shipping. I know I got mine from Lowes for less than the shipped price from Grizzly.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Kevin,
The good thing about the Hitachi is that it works well in AZ and PA. [:D] Seriously, it seems that it will be more than evough drill press for me no matter what I need it for. Lowe's had it on sale when I got it and I have been very happy.

bobaltig

I too bought the Delta DP350 and love it. Room is an issue in my shop, so a bench top drill press was just about mandatory. I've not seen another benchtop lathe of equal or better quality. I don't know what the Grizzly costs, but I got the Delta on sale at Sears for $99. It was regularly $109 at the time.

Bob A

rlh

I also use the Delta 350 12" Variable Speed Drill Press. This is the 3rd drill press I have owned and in my opinion the best. I am completely happy with it.[:D]

Doghouse

I have the DP350, and although this one is working it took me 4 of them to get one that works beyond 4 mths. They require heavy maintence and the speeds are not listed on the machine, you have to make your own speed chart. I still do not trust the reeves drive even though others have had no problems with it. Next time I will go with a manual belt changer on a floor model rather than benchtop. (All depends on your budget)

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Doghouse
<br />I have the DP350, and although this one is working it took me 4 of them to get one that works beyond 4 mths. They require heavy maintence and the speeds are not listed on the machine, you have to make your own speed chart. I still do not trust the reeves drive even though others have had no problems with it. Next time I will go with a manual belt changer on a floor model rather than benchtop. (All depends on your budget)

The Grizzly is maintenance free, don't forget, much more powerful. And the floor model is only about $25.00 more than the bench style. I have the bench model and regret that decision, the floor styles are way more versitile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom