NEW DELTA MIDI BANJO

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drcal

I have had the new Delta Midi Lathe for about 10 months and I love it. The only thing that is rather frustrating is that the banjo does not move easily. I waxed the bed but it did not help. In fact, the tailstock moves beautifully. It is just the banjo. It move back and forth better than it does from side to side...hope that makes sense.

Because it is so new, I am hesitant about taking it apart.

Any advice?

Carmen
Tampa Bay

lorbay

There is usually some adjustment under the Banjo. They all seem to go back and forth easier than side to side and this is because of the off centre tightening system it runs back and forth or the length of the banjo if you will. But when you swing the banjo from side to side the mechanism swings a little and thus has a tendency to bind a little. You might look under it when you are moving it from side to side and see if this is what is happening. You may get some other answers from members who have that same lathe. Good luck.

Lin.

I have had the new Delta Midi Lathe for about 10 months and I love it. The only thing that is rather frustrating is that the banjo does not move easily. I waxed the bed but it did not help. In fact, the tailstock moves beautifully. It is just the banjo. It move back and forth better than it does from side to side...hope that makes sense.

Because it is so new, I am hesitant about taking it apart.

Any advice?

Carmen
Tampa Bay

I don't know the structure of your lathe ways, but on my Jet 1442 I've had a similar problem... my Jet has a two part ways with a slot down the middle where the bolt for tightening the banjo down, the metal in that slow is not finished and a little rough... when you wax the ways, try running a line of wax down the inside of the ways... also if you do gluing and finishing on the lathe, I've dripped glue and finish down into the slot that will bind the banjo bolt... the tolerance is pretty tight so anything that gets in there will hang up the banjo when I try to move it.

sbwertz

I've dripped glue and finish down into the slot that will bind the banjo bolt... the tolerance is pretty tight so anything that gets in there will hang up the banjo when I try to move it.[/quote]

I took a quart sized ziplock bag and glued a couple of small magnets to it with CA. It sticks to the lathe bed under the work when I am using glue. It sure eliminated the constant sanding off of dripped CA. The magnets keep the dust collector from sucking it up.

Sharon

Top Bottom