New bunch of resin blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

scturner

Hello all!

Well, I've been busy the last 2- 3 weeks playing around making and cutting up molds into blanks. This is about one complete gallon of resin here that made all these blanks. Each one is roughly 34" x 3/4" x 2 7/8" long. I decided then best way to cut these was not length wise but width-wise, this yields about 7 blanks per mold.

I haven't counted all the blanks I got from that gallon but its a lot! plenty to last quite a while (maybe 50- 70 blanks?). My wife has gotten into this as well making her own funky designs trying to layer different colors in one mold. I'm including a pic of the pen I made using her layered blanks, purple-gold fusion. Over all, making these are a lot of fun, turning pens (roughing down) however kinda feels like sandblasting yourself:).

20056130188_Perple-gold-fusion-pen.jpg

I've about finished a Classic American using white pearl laminated with black/white pearl together. I hope it turns out pretty sharp.
One thing I'd like to mentioned about drilling these blanks out. I use my lathe, putting the blank in a 4 jaw chuck and drill slowly thru the blank. I've found I really like the precision of the lathe for boring, drilling etc, but these blanks seem to have a tendency to blow-out the end if I don't go "real slow" at the end and keep the flutes cleared often.

I've had this happen twice but I'm more careful now that I know better.

200561302737_Sawed%20resin%20blanks.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

53Jim

Hi David,
That pen looks super. I love the coloring. I've never drilled on the lathe, but I have had blowouts on the drill press. I usually cut the blanks a weeee bit over sized, so that when the drill bit exits, any chipping will be sanded away in the squaring process.

Hope this helps.

scturner

Hi guys!

Now that's some good info you fella's have shared!! It appears I've been going about that step backwards. Hasn't occured to me to cut them a little long, blow them out (if they want to) then sand off the blow out...great!!! I'll be doing that from now on [:D].

This pen is only, I think, my 5th one. I love the sanding and buffing part of making resin pens. I sand down to 600 grit with wet/dry papper then, start wet sanding making a slurry with each pad of MM down to 12000, then buff with the Beall system. Love the final luster of these pens.

I've got another gallon of resin left to go but I think when all these blanks and other gallon is gone I'm gonna try some of those Lucite blanks from pipemakers.org, that is simply stunning material!
I need to focus on making peppermills but I tell you, making pens are really addictive. Got to get my next one done tomorrow.

BTW, can anyone start a photo album here? It would be nice to see how one progresses over time.

Thanks for the tips, I'm really happy to be part of this great forum!
Glad I found you guys.

JimGo

David,
Yes, any registered member can create a photo album.

Great job with that layered pen; any chance of a more detailed photo?

scturner

Thank you guys for the compliments! I really appreciate it. Although, I'm still a far cry from the many knowledgeable "blankologist" I've seen here. But I'll keep trying to improve as I go.

Daniel, yes, you should give these a go for sure. I just bought all the materials from Artstuf.com and went by the instructions from Jay, Anthony and others to sort things out, lots of fun really. But I do recommend a gas mask for the fumes.

Jim, thanks for letting me know about the photo album, I will start one. And yes, I can do another shot of the backside of that pen. Got to warn you though, it's not near as gold over there but still perty interesting[:D].

I was hoping the gift shop near Clemson SC would be open by now, my neighbor is the one opening it up. But she fell at the place and broke her ankle and 2 ribs so don't know when it will open now. Oh well, gives me time to make more pens I guess.

One question, does anyone else sell their pens on their web sites with a steady degree of success? Peppermills I've sold have all come from word of mouth, not my site[:(], maybe too many window shoppers out there, or something else...who knows??

Anyway, I'll post a pic of the flip side of that pen soon. Thanks all.

scturner

Hi again all,

I made a promise that I'd show Jim the flip side of the above pen made from purple-gold fusion but alas my wife decided she would give it to her mom for a late Mother's day present so it's gone, sorry Jim.

So instead, I'm showing off my latest Classic American with a black/white pearl lamination. Should have used a darker background to show off the pearl more, but I'll get better at this stuff[:D].

2005615185322_Blk-wht-resin-pen.jpg
<br />

JimGo

I REALLY like that! Having the transition occur in the top blank REALLY gives it a cool look. Fit and finish look pretty good, too! Now we'll just have to work on the color of the pic; it looks a little brown over all to me.

Oh, and I'm still REALLY curious to see the other pen; c'mon, be a man...take it back from you MIL! (KIDDING!)

scturner

Sam, thank you sir. Yes, I like it too, but no, it's a lamination. Probably won't get another to come out like it for nothing but I sure like to try. I got some more ideas in the works...I love laminating!

Jim, thank you too sir. Yes, speaking of the color of the pic...
This is just a background (soft fuzzy blanket really) that I use to take pics of my peppermills with. Actually it's white! Problem is it never comes out that way. Also, I use 2 painter's lamps shinning down on either side of the object, got them at Lowes and using 2 curly floresenent lights in them (45 watts each I believe). That could be some of the problem as they give off a sorta golden tone to things.. not bright white. Quartz bulbs might be better, but also run hotter!

I've tried changing the settings on my dig camera , EV, UV.. all that stuff[:D] but they still come out looking brown.. I don't get it!! Can you help me out with this? or anyone?

After taking a pic I run it thru Photoshop and do "auto contrast", that does brighten up the pics but there still brown in color overall[:(]. If you know how to get'em the right color I'd love to hear it.

Ok, Ok, If you really want to see that pen...geez, I'll bulk-up and be a man, go over there, beat her up and get it back [:D], (kidding).

Anyway, maybe I'll do another fusion pen just for you and show the flip side. Got a lot of good comments on that pen.[:)].

airrat

you did a fantastic job with the black/white pearl. Don't tell anyone you didn't plant it that way. Looks like a classy act. I give it 2 thumbs up.

Thumbs

Hey, Jack! If you can fix up pictures like that, maybe you can go into business fixing up pictures for those of us who couldn't take a picture even if the frames came with them!

Nice job on the pens, Dave; and great fix on the pix, Jack.

Sorry, I had to get in here even with a NJGP when I heard somebody mention my name!(Tom was it?)

Justin_F

Man they are reat blanks! I am paying about $4 Aus per blank for some pretty ordinary stuff [:(] I want to get into casting my own - not so much for the money saving (but that goes down wellwith the wife [8)] But to get more creative control over the process. Im new, have you posted a "how to"?

scturner

Hey everyone,
Thanks for the compliments again on the pen!! First of all, gotta say Jack, you did a great job on the pic! Nice color correction. I have Photoshop 3.0 version but never used the auto color correction but I will from now on. There's more buttons on that thing than the space shuttle[:)].I haven't had it that long so it's still kinda new to me. I'm going to try this same pic and see if it turns out like that, hope so!

Justin, no, I haven't done a "how-to" yet. I really don't feel I'm qualified at the monent cause I just recently started making pens myself (about 1.5 months). Done lots of segmented peppermills for my website so maybe some of that knowledge spilled over to the pens. But anyway, by all means you should try casting your own blanks. I counted about 80 blanks from 1 can of resin..WoW! And with all those colors you can get as creative as you want with it!!
Anthony and Jay Pickens I feel, did a really fine job with a "how to" located on the home page. I don't think I could do any better than their instructions.

ED, thank you sir!!. That means alot coming from you. IMHO you do some awsome work.

Everybody thanks! You guys are great and very supportive. I like learning from others and trying to help others out as well If I can. Well, I've got an "Old Glory" pen in mind so better get cracking on it.

Thanks,

scturner

MDWine,

I just noticed "my black/white laminated pen" in "your" photo album!!! Hey, that's not your pen or your picture, and I don't appreciate you putting it in your album. I don't know you at all and sorry to be like this but that dosen't belong to you and I'd like it removed from your album... pronto!!!

If it mistakenly got into your photo album then I'd like it removed ASAP!

David

JimGo

David,
If you scroll up a bit in this thread, you'll see that Michael was kind enough to touch up the lighting in your picture, that's why the pen is in "his" album. The albums allow for slightly larger file sizes that the "insert an image file", which is probably why Michael put the pic in his album, rather than just inserting it directly into the thread. I'm sure he didn't mean to "lay claim" to your picture.

Wow David, those are awesome pens and blanks. I have not tried making the blanks, seems like I have enough to do to get the pens made from the blanks I already have! I looked at your site and your peppermills are wonderful. A real work of art. I like the bottle stoppers too. I have made lots of them. Have a great day![:D]

scturner

Hi Jim,

I understand what you're saying and I also appreciate that he was just trying to help out, that's fine, and I would try to help out others myself If I can.

But, at the same time my picture needs to be deleted from his album now that he made his point, wouldn't you agree? When I saw my picture on the home page under MDWine's "todays new photos" that's what got me so upset!

I think I need to deal directly with him on this issue but do understand and appreciate you trying to clear it up.

Thanks,

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by scturner
<br />MDWine,

I just noticed "my black/white laminated pen" in "your" photo album!!! Hey, that's not your pen or your picture, and I don't appreciate you putting it in your album. I don't know you at all and sorry to be like this but that dosen't belong to you and I'd like it removed from your album... pronto!!!

If it mistakenly got into your photo album then I'd like it removed ASAP!

David
Easy there, David. Do you really think he'd help you out then poach your photo to pass of as his own work? I think you've virtually guaranteed that you won't get any more photo help from him [:(] A short private email would have been a great way to handle that, or you could have written to me for help.

scturner

Jeff,

You're absolutely right. I did jump the gun here pretty bad I must admit and want to apoligize to Mike here in person. Actually, I already have in a private email. Every things fine now. Mikes a great guy and hope we can put all this behind us. Being new here and not quite knowing how things work I should have done differently. Truly sorry If I offended anyone, certainly wasn't my intent.

David

MDWine

I understand completely. Had I been at home, I would have put the picture on my own site and referenced it there. David had a good point. When someone puts a picture in an album, it shows up on the "recently posted" list, and it looked like theirs. I'd never represent anyone's work as my own.

Sorry for the mix up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom