New 1221 Jet Lathe - belt squeaking.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

It turns fine, but there is squeaking coming from the belt. Rockler was very helpful, but I can disengage the motor to loosen or tighten the belt. Anyone have that experience?

Thank you for reading!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Tony - Do not have that lathe -- but on some other lathes, that resulted from the pulleys not being quite in alignment. Does not take much of a missed alignment to cause noise.

Good news - should be an easy adjustment to loose the grub screw on the motor pulley and make a small lateral move.

mchech

My 1221 is very quiet. If I didn't have a noisy bearing in my mandrel saver live center I wouldn't know it's running.

Si90

I had the same problem. When I inspected the belt it had several stiff spots and some chunks of rubber in the bottom of he grooves. I was supplied with a new belt which was better but still not perfect. I have found that the squeak does get less as the belt gets warm and makes less noise the more it s run. It may just be a case of having to "run the belt in"

Also just running a wet finger on the edges of the belt does stop it but only for a while. I have read that you can run some candle wax or bar soap on the inside and outside edges which will stop it. There is also a specific belt lubricant that is supposed to cure this type of issue.

A word of warning. If you do change the belt, the 3 screws holding the cover over the headstock bearing which you have to remove are done up incredibly tight. It took me 3 hours to get one out and I ruined it in the process. I replaced them with much stronger and higher quality stainless steal ones.

TonyL

It squeaked right out of the box. I was able to loosen and tight: I even changed pulleys (speeds) - same squeaking. I will call tomorrow. Thanks!

TonyL

Thank you. I plan to contact Jet tomorrow. It did stop when I placed the tail stock closer to the mandrel.

Old Codger

Tony...Several of us have a new lathe just like yours yet haven't experienced any problems... Please keep us advised on what Jet C/S recommends and what solved the issue! Sorry to hear about your misfortune and know the 1221VS is a great lathe and you'll love it again once this issue is resolved.

Tom T

Tony,
I have a powermatic which is handle by jet. They were great on the phone. I mean really great. Warning on my lathe there is a sequence as to which set screw to unscrew first.
I used the T-handle allen wrench that came with my lathe. There was quit a snap sound when it came loose. And which screw does make a difference in the alinement. By the way my bearing rattle a little and I have not been able to stop that. But it turns great.
Tom

TonyL

I don't have a mandrel saver; my local shop was out. I don't think I had my tailstock tight enough against the mandrel. I moved in in closer and the squeaking stopped. Naturally, the point of the tailstock got suck a little into the mandrel. Considering it's my second pen, I think I am doing decently. I will call Jet tomorrow though. Thanks for all of your advice and support!

TonyL

As you all said, Jet's CS was excellent. Bobby in TN took good care of me.
This is what he said:
Don't worry about the squeaking in terms of damaging the lathe.
Make sure your lathe is leveled (point to point).
It should be bolted down, otherwise you will be chasing its center all over the place
Yes, the live-center (I don't have a mandrel saver yet), should be snug enough to where it makes a small hole in the mandrel. Obviously, not snug to where it bends/deforms the mandrel.

Last night, I did snug-up the mandrel and there was no squeaking. The live center also got stuck for a short time in the mandrel, but it dropped right out. Bobby (of Jet) said that is normal.

I am just repeated hi words. I am too new to tell if he knows what he is talking about. He suer was a nice guy though.

I hope this helps all.

I have JWL-1212EVS, if that means anything to you.

Have a great day!

Top Bottom