New "plastic" materials

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

low_48

Hello fellow turners. This is my first post since joining. I'm a long time turner, but have been bitten by the pen "bug" since starting work for the Freedom Pens. I've turned 80 pens now and still enjoying it. The main reason for the post is to tell you about my experiences with a new material. I've found solid color PVC rod at www.modernplastics.com The rod comes in many diameters, but the 5/8" diameter sells for $9.50 for a 60" stick. I had trouble downloading the grey pen I turned from this, but the photo of the color samples did load. The material is soft, but turns great. The only problem is how the curls wind around the black. I sanded to 4000 and polished with 3M Finese IT and was very happy. I'll try to get the photo loaded of the grey pen. I did get a black pen to load that I turned from cast black nylon. This stuff turned even nicer, but is really sensitive to heat. In fact the blank heated enough from the drilling, that I did not have to glue in the brass tube. I put the tube in right after drilling and the blank shrank around the tube.

I'll be glad to respond with more info, I didn't know how much to say in the post. Rich

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scott

Hi Richard!

I'm glad you found your way over here! Thanks for the info on the PVC rod - I'll have to try that out! I really like the way that gray pen turned out! Nice shape you've got going there! Don't be a stranger!

Scott.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom