The new "hired help"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefyter-emt

I got the chance to have my new employee working in the shop for a couple hours tonight banging out some slimline blanks as filler fodder for a show next month. :D

This is my oldest son, Partick, he's 12. He got to select the blanks, marked the grain and length. Ran the big bandsaw to cut them to length, then center marked and drilled the holes on the drill press. He did a great job too!

913071.jpg

913072.jpg

He got even with me for snapping photos and got me making a mess with some Coraian, that dang stuff makes a mess!

913073.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Firefyter-emt

LOL... Yea, I had not even noticed that he did not have them on in the shop, shame on me!

OSHA would shut me down for sure, yets see.. There is about a foot of exposed blade on the bandsaw above the guides and the belt is wide open on the side for the motor. My lathe has an exposed belt. The drill press has an exposed belt. (although I have an original belt cover on it's way from Georgia as we speak) Yea, I am sure they would love me! [;)]

Steve, I will tell you what, send him back with some cactus blanks and we have a deal! [:eek:)] But he is a firstborn, I need more than just one or two for the first born, but I have two newer models that I can swap him out for which will be much more reasonable. [:D]

Kalai

I started turning when I was 12 and still going, I think that it is great to learn turning at a young age. I like that band saw too, it looks like one of those old school saws, old school is the best school.
I bet he can't wait until he turns something.
I would be willing to donate some koa blanks for him to try[:)], PM me if you want some. Aloha.

Chris[:D]
Kalai[;)]

Dario

I hope you make that bandsaw a bit safer. I also am a bit worried on how he held the blank while cutting.

I myself grew up on tons of risks and wonder sometimes how I survived but I know it is because of my "training" as a kid. You know your kids abilities and I am not questioning that...I just like him to stay safe.

Remember, regrets always comes later.

That said, great looking kid. I wish my son would do the same for (and especially WITH) me [:D][;)]

Firefyter-emt

Dario, trust me he was safe, there is a full size miter gauge with a wood fence that's cut flush with the blade. He was warned about the danger of the upper blade. I do plan on making a gaurd for it, I just need a few things in the shop before I can fab one up. It will need to be 3 sliding parts to keep the full 12" cut the saw has. He also "knows his way around the shop"

Chris, thanks.. It's a 16" Walker Turner from the late 40's to early 50's
I might just take you up on that offer, he did turn a pen about a year ago, but I think it's time he had a fountian pen to help him improve his hand writing. We homeschool so I can stress things like that. [:D]

Mark, when I say "fodder" I am just talking about a bucnh of cheap slimlines to fill in the space on the table without putting a lot oc cash out on nicer pen kits. I have not done this show before and I have the feeling it will not be a big selling day so I don't want to put a huge cost into kits.

Billy, I have 3 boys and my 4-year-old daughter so I have plenty of time too! [:D]

Firefyter-emt

Just a little update, Chris sent me out some wonderfull blanks and my oldest picked out the one he liked the best and he milled it up on the band saw and drilled the holes for his very own cigar pen. (If this one is kept up I will start him with a FP next year)

This is one of the Koa blanks that Chris sent amd man, this stuff is harder than it looks!

By the way, note that MY son is turning this with a skew! [:D] Gonna start him off right. [;)]

I wonder how many generations this lathe has seen new turners on? It's about 75 years old....
1014071.jpg

We have the bottom half all done with a 6 coat straight CA finish. I did apply the CA and gave it the first knock down one the CA was dry, but he took it from there. We should have the pen done tomorow with all luck. He is putting it on one of those black chrome (aka black powder coat) cigar kits and it really looks good with the Koa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom