Needed information

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

warthog

Since I am relatively new to this scene...and since I have only turned a few pens (nothing to get excited over) just how many different sizes of bushings...drill bits and so on does a person need to really have a good assortment on hand. And just how many different kinds of pens are there any way? It seems that everytime I read this web site...I keep running into a couple I never heard of. If someone would take me by the ear and show me what is needed...you would have absolutely no idea how much I would appreciate it. Thanks.:confused::confused::confused:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nsfr1206

Just choose a couple of pens you like the looks of and buy the drill bits and bushings for those. Make a bunch and do it again. Of course, bushings wear out with sanding and cutting. A few pen kits may share bushings. IIRC, the jr gent and statesman jr share the same. And some of the sierra's do too.

Lenny

I would suggest you pick just a few different styles to start with.... The Slimline style is popular because it's one of the least expensive and offers many ways to customize it ... check out the articles by Don Ward here ... http://www.redriverpens.com/articles.htm
These use a 7mm drill ... as do Many other kits like the Euro, my favorite the Roadster/Anelli/Streamline and probably other names as well.

Others would argue you should start out with one of the many Sierra style pens .... Just be aware there are several different versions each using slightly different bushings, tubes and drill bits. The advantage of this style pen, among other things is it uses only half a pen blank.

The other I would suggest you try is the Cigar style. This uses a 10mm drill bit. A very popular style, it is a big pen giving it more room to really "show off" a nice blank!
The one thing to be aware of is keeping the bushings in the right order ... very easy to get them confused (or so I'm told ... Of Course I would never do anything like THAT) :rolleyes::):biggrin:

I would say slim line, cigar, one of the many single tube pens, and the Jr. series. Jr. gent,statesman,and retro. Then as you want branch out into the others. When I started I bought a bunch of different kits, bushings, and bits and now don't use most of them. It has always been a little confusing to me why every pen needs a different bit/ bushing.

Justturnin

There are a lot. You can start off at Penn State Ind. They sell starter sets that include the bushings and most of the time a Drill bit to. They consider these Free but you have to but multiple of the kits. There is a great 7mm kit w/ 8 pens in it (4 types) but you have to pick up a 7mm bit to go with it but they can be inexpensive.

kovalcik

Just my $.02. Buy a 10 pack of slimlines and practice turning them. Check out the IAP library and this link ( http://www.woodturnerruss.com/Pen10.html ) for ideas on how to customize the slimline. You can also branch out into the Streamline/Saturn, Comfort, and the European/Designer kits. While those each have different bushings, they all use a 7mm drill bit. You can try out different techniques, finishes, and materials. Best of all they are all relatively inexpensive. Then I would move on to maybe the Cigar style (10mm drill bit) or maybe one of the single tube styles. Those give you a nicer pen.

In general, plan on buying a set of bushings for every type kit you want to try. You can probably find a few kits that share the same size drill. 7mm, 10mm, and 27/64 are a few of sizes that I know share between some kits.

Top Bottom