Need your metal tubing scraps

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Hintz

For those who use their metal lathes more often than me, do you have any short scraps of stainless and aluminum tubing scraps you wouldn't mind throwing away (in my direction)? Length and diameter of the scrap doesn't matter, just something in the 1/2"-3/4" diameter range, and from 1/3" to several inches in length are just fine.

I'm sending the scraps to someone for some test engravings... I'm looking at adding a fiber laser to my CO2 workshop and need some timing data, and I just don't have appropriate scraps on hand. I'd be happy to do a custom engraving as a 'thank you' when it comes in.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Heya Dan..

I'm thinking most of the people with metal lathes in this group are more likely to use rods than tubes. (but you never know)
I was just thinking of who would use steel and aluminum tubes and would likely have scraps .. but you'd have to join a forum for people who make wind chimes. (I still want to make a contrabass set myself..)

Wait .. .don't YOU have a metal lathe?

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I have several bottom brass tubes from sets I dont use. I replace the kit ones with longer zen tubes for my kits. How many do you need?

Dan Hintz

Chuck, it's torn down at the moment, so useless for the moment.

Mike, I probably should have specified a minimum thickness to the tubes. I'm looking at deep engraving (0.5-1mm), so the tubes would have to be at least 1.0-1..5mm thick. Think in terms of accent rings and such. But 3-4 rings should be enough for them to make a few runs.

I'd ask you for some sterling parts, but I don't see a need to spend any real money on this test... if it can do stainless, brass, and aluminum, it should have no problem with sterling.

bjbear76

It's 6061 alloy

I also have 0.8" od with 1.05mm wall thickness in 6063 alloy

each of these pieces are 9 3/4 - 10" long

My company diamond turns aluminum tubes for the laser printer industry, so I have a variety of sizes available, though most have a thinner wall thickness

Let me know what you need and I'll give you what I can get.

Bill

Dan Hintz

A few different alloys (1 tube of each), each 4-6" in length should be more than adequate for the tests. For the thinner stuff, I'll ask them to cut through.. knowing how fast I can cut 1mm seems like a useful data point.

Dan Hintz

Uhm, yes, actually... I'm trying to put in a number of sample items (brass, aluminum, stainless steel), the typical pen materials. I think titanium would be a good addition.

Top Bottom