Need workshop space

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dbarrash

Due to many situations in life and the economy I was forced to downsize and am now living in an apartment........My shop (lathe / jigsaw / tools) is currently on the balcony of my apartment. As the temperatures drop, I will no longer be able to turn, etc on the balcony. As a family we are all very artsy and crafty. One of the bedrooms is converted to computer / crafts room. However, it seems a bad place to add a workshop due to carpeting, computer and the all on mess I create with my turning. I'm sure I am not the only one in this situation however the temperature IS dropping. Suggestions? What do you all do that have no true workshop space, basement, garage etc. I have learned so much from all of you and I look to your experience and suggestions now. Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fireengines

Does your complex offer garages to rent?

However, the problem with apartment garages is security. All it takes is someone to cut the lock and walk off with everything. Depending on how far you are from a garage, there are motion detectors that will let you know if someone enters.

Last edited:

McBryde

Hi, Dave,

First of all, let me commend you on doing what you can to keep turning pens even when you had to downsize to an apartment. Putting your workshop on your balcony is very clever.

Here's a thought, I don't know if it'll be very economical, but it might work.
What about renting a small storage unit and making that your "Winter Workshop"? And when the temperature warms back up, you move everything back to your balcony.

Jim Burr

Banned
Hey Dave! First...keep the faith and your chin up! Pat on the back to you!! See if there is a local turning club...maybe share a space with someone there. Also, and I know it's a stretch, but our church has a 5,000 sqft shop with everything on the planet! Worth a shot. Look for unused or shared warehouse space. Maybe a storage facility that has outlets? Hope any of that helps.

Randy Simmons

I have gone dexter style on a spare room in an apartment. cover everything in plastic, and shut the door when you turn. Make sure you have a window open for ventilation. It will certainly keep most of the dust out of the house.

trapper

Ever thought of the back of a large van? I did that for a while whilst taking the same journey (due to divorce). use an inverter or generator for power and it can work. Mine was a Mercedes Sprinter (Dodge stateside?) 13'6'' x 6' internal. Now my workshop is a 10 X 8 store room in the apartment.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
You're not the first to have a workshop balcony. Brian Goulet started the same way and now employs at least 5 in a full time pen and ink business. He no longer makes pens himself, but he made it work. If you have the power and can put up a barrier to drafts an infrared heater will get you through many cool days. I would do the drilling, turning and sanding outside in large batches when the weather is most cooperative and perhaps do the finishing and assembly indoors. The small lathes are pretty portable. With a little planning you can also make quite a few sub assemblies in the warmer months. Just buy a bunch of tubes, turn and finish. Don't but the full kits or assemble them until you need them.

kooster

I too share your "no space" situation and here's my 2 cents worth for getting ready for dropping temps. I'm on the east coast so winters can be brutal . . . high gusting winds and snow mixed. Then it's thawing time (lot of water), refreezing, etc. In reality, you'd need quite a substantial plastic covering to enclose a balcony that would protect you/equipment from this type of weather. And, temp changes play havoc with plastic.Consider also, IF it should rip/tear or whatever, in the middle of a blizzard or while you're working . . . !!! YIKES.
This may not be the end -all solution but it might work for you too. I've downsized to benchtop size (drill press, sander, table saw, mini lathe). I put casters on the base of my Jet lathe stand and bought small dollies from HF for the others. This saves time & your back. Designate a space in your workroom for turning and one for storage of the tools. IF needed, get a small storage shelf or something to stack the benchtop tools(shelving/cinder blocks) if needed. Invest in a good, small, portable dust collector with a hood (PSI has 2 good ones). A shop vac alone will NOT do the trick. It may take a little time to set up and get things in place, but once things are, you can relax in a warm, clean, protected environment without the worry of waking up to a snow filled balcony or frozen tools. If you need/want more details give me a PM. I'll be glad to share/answer any other questions. Good luck.

plantman

:rolleyes::rolleyes: Dave; This is how I solved a space problem when my wife wanted all her sewing machines (3) , material cabinet (5' x 6'), and cutting table (6' x 3') moved into my office space. I looked in the sewing catalogs and found a ready made unit that.would take care of all her machines and material. The unit measures 42 x 19 1/2 x 28 1/2 high. The front has two doors that swing out . One is 13 1/2 wide and has 3 adjustable shelves for storage. The other door is 24 x 23 1/2 and is on rollers that swings it 180+*s and has two large parts racks built onto the door. this door also swings far enough to safetly hold up a 19 1/2 x 23 1/2 work surface that is hinged to the side of the cabinet, lines up with the top, and gives you a total flat work surface of 23 1/3 x 62". Once you open the door you can slide a chair up to your work or stand at your lathe, and still have slelves for storage under the table. This system could easly be set up with a mini lathe, mini miter saw, tube cuter, disk sander, small table top bandsaw, and dust collector all on one unit that could be folded down and stored away in a coat closet or behind a door. It's furniture grade cherry and could be left out also. Plus you would have plenty of room for tools and supplies all out of sight. The whole thing is on casters and can be easly moved from room to room or outside in the warmer season. Look up sewing cabinets in their catalog in ( www.sewingtableshop.com ) page down to Sauder Sewing Craft Table. On sale for $192.99 + $10.00 shipping. Worked for me !! By the way, if you are wondering about the cutting table, I cut the top into three pieces with the center piece being 6 inches wide and hinged the other 2 pieces to this one. I added some swing arms under the table, mounted it on locking casters so you can roll it out of the way. Now it folds down to a piece 3' x 6" wide. I also added the non-cut surface with all her lines and angles so she can use the roller blades to do the cutting. Funny, it seems I always end up doing the cutting !! Jim S

Last edited:

dankc908

I keep Googling "garage stretchers" but haven't found the solution. I guess my next step will be some carpentry work (extend the garage by 15') and add A/ C and a furnace.

Tim'sTurnings

I keep Googling "garage stretchers" but haven't found the solution. I guess my next step will be some carpentry work (extend the garage by 15') and add A/ C and a furnace.

If you ever do find a garage stretcher please send me a pm. My 16' X 20' "studio" is very crowded. No money for an expansion so a stretcher would be perfect! lol.

I don' know a lot about apartment biuldings. I did help work on a water heater in a utility room in one.There was a lot of unused space.An electric or high afficent gas water heater(useing outdoor air for cumbustion) would have no access to your dust.And I know you would keep a shared space clean.Might not cost too much.Just an idea.Now that I think about it, I think I have heard of some one doing this.

plantman

If you ever do find a garage stretcher please send me a pm. My 16' X 20' "studio" is very crowded. No money for an expansion so a stretcher would be perfect! lol.

:eek::eek: A young guy I worked with has a garage strecher. It's a blue 2009 Ford Mustang. One morning when he woke up after a night out, he found out he had stretched the back of the garage about 20 feet. Jim S

Top Bottom