Need wood suggestion for customer

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rangertrek

I have a customer that wants a Retro Jr RB in Plat or Black TN. He wants me to pick a wood for the pen. :confused: The customer is a surgeon, and he is from India.
Any suggestion for a special or symbolic wood from India that may have some meaning for the doctor?
I have been thinking on this for weeks. I have a couple ideas, just stuck on making a decision, and need some fresh input.
Thanks.:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

David Keller

We've got several local physicians from India, and I made a pen for one of them from a piece of sandal wood... the real stuff. He brought the blanks back to me from a trip to India. It's not the prettiest stuff in the world, but it smells amazing. If you go with sandalwood, I'd give some thought to not applying a finish.

I may still have a stick of the stuff out in the shop if you need it... we could work out something. You might check with the doc... If they have relatives there, they may be able to send you something.

RAdams

Banned
Yeah, I was going to suggest getting something from the Doc himself. Either that or maybe a nice domestic wood... Instead of going with Heritage, you could base the decision on the "American Dream". He is, afterall, A Doctor in America right?

JerrySambrook

Constant also has a laser kit with the medical staff (whatever it is called)
Maybe you can ask him to make up one for you for the specific kit you are doing?

Jerry

Mickey

It won't be beautiful but should be meaningful. Ask him for a small stack of tongue depressors and then laminate them together and make a blank.

Transam

I have made a couple of pens from Indian Ebony. That may work well. Or Indian Satinwood. Not done a pen from that but it makes lovely honey dippers.

Bree

Cocobolo or Honduran Rosewood Burl.

Forget symbols and the like. If he wanted that, he would have told you. Pick something that will knock his socks off. The two woods above have color and pattern that are top of the wood pile. Make him a pen out of a nice piece of either wood and he will love the pen and never forget you!
:wink::wink::wink:

Top Bottom