need tool rest for Old Wilton midi lathe,CLOSED

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coop

I dropped a cast base tool rest and broke it off right at the steel rest joint. Anybody have one for sale for a old Winton Lathe? The cast shaft is 12mm wide and about 35mm tall to the botton of the steel rest. The steel rest to the top of the angle is about 66mm and its 111mm long. So its small but I have used it a lot for several years. I am using a 6" one now but one a bit over 3" would be nice! Got lots of wood to trade or will pay a reasonable price. I can weld it ,but cast is a pain to weld and file to shape. The lathe is much like the PSI's TurnCrafter Plus. ,Coop

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RONB

Passed Away Jan 17, 2011
In Memoriam
If you can find a welding shop in your area cast can be welded and ground back to new.

Randy_

Coop: Do you by chance mean to say WILTON lathe? I've never heard of a Winton??

Chances are your 12mm post is actually a 1/2" post or at least that a 1/2" post will fit in your banjo. If so there are a couple of things you can do.

1. Weld up the one you have.(Welding cast iron is a little tricky and not everyone can do it properly.)

2. Buy a length of steel rod from someplace like Home Depot, cut it up into appropriate lengths and take it to your local muffler or welding shop. Most will do the work for a very reasonable price and you can make up several rests in different sizes.

3. Contact WILTON and talk to their customer service about an OEM replacement.(probably your most expensive alternative.)

4. PSI sells several different 1/2" tool rests for what I would consider to be reasonable prices. Check out TOOLRESTS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom