need tips for turning antler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dutra

Ive been turning pens for a few months now, mostly slimlines, and all out of wood. I would like to get into turning deer antler, but could use a few pointers. Can i use CA glue to glue in the tubes, ive heard epoxy is better.

Also what is a good finish for antler? I have only used Hut crystal coat friction polish for my pens so far, would that work on antler?

Any advice is appreciated:biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rick P

I turn a lot of antler ivory and bone, sharp tools and good ventilation is a must! I used CA for the tubes and stabilization. However it is my opinion that the majority of the issues with cracking that many experiance is due to the finish. Bone antler and ivory and living materials that change over time and benefit from the natural oils from your skin. Part of the joy of animal based products is there mystique, the feel of the material, mojo if you will. Hard to feel that through a layer of acrylic. All three products will take on a wonderful shine through simple sanding then dry polishing. All three have a hard cuticle and spongy matrix, dont get hung up on whether or not only cuticle shows in the final product or variations in color. Most of my clients want to see the subtle shifts in color and they are virtually unavoidable. Other than that have fun with it.

Warning animal products smell of burnt hair and you can develop an allergy to them.

renowb

There are many variations to finishing antler. You can sand and mm to 12000 or you can apply ca. Whatever you prefer. try different methods and see what you like.

Dutra

Thanks for the help. If I turn anything good lookin I'll post it.

MarkHix

For tubes, I started w/ CA and switched to epoxy because the marrow part of the antler can be porus. The epoxy filled it better.

Finish depends on the look or the customer. I have made them with a CA finish and without. Try some turning some scrap and see what you get. Not all antler is the same color so try to keep the direction right like you do w/ woodgrain.

Don't just use the straight peices. Use some that are bent a little bit so that you leave some of the bark on.

If you plan out your cuts, you can get alot of pens from one set of antler. Use the smaller diameter parts for the smaller diameter pens, the larger diameter parts for the larger pens.

If absolutely have to have white or straight, there are some articles in the Library and several thread on straightening and on bleaching.

Good luck and post some photos.

Ventilation helps.....some.

Top Bottom