In need of a starter bit tutorial

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Warren White

I have purchased a set of 5 starter bits (1/8 w/3/64 tip, 3/16 w/5/64 tip, 1/4 w/7/64 tip, 5/16 w/1/8 tip, and 7/16 w/3/16 tip) at Harbor Freight. Now I realize I don't know how to use them!

Is the only "point" to get an exact center started? Is it to drill part way with a bit just smaller than the finished hole? If, for example, I am going to end up with a 7mm hole in a blank, what size starter bit do I use, and how deep to I drill the hole? As you see, it is a puzzlement to me.

Oh wise starter bit experts, please shed some light on this.

Thank you!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thewishman

The center bits are made to start a hole in the center of the blank. I wouldn't start a 7mm hole with a 7/16 bit, but if it would be all you had, just starting the hole and drilling only deep enough to make a good start for the 7mm would still work.

I use a 3/8" bit on just about anything, drilling enough so that the angled part of the bit drills into the material. Get past the pointiest part and into the 60 degree part.

It is just to get your "real" bit a centered starting place, so it doesn't wander off on its own.

Last edited:

Skie_M

It is used to "dimple mark" the hole where you intend to use an actual drill bit so that it won't wander on you across the face of the blank you are about to drill.

You can use just the very tip, for things like a brad point or a forster bit, or you can seat the entire bevel to guide a 60 degree cone (for turning between centers), or drilling with standard twist bits

monophoto

Warren

Center bits are tools, and there is no one right way to use them. Instead, you use them to do what you need to do.

For example, I have been redressing Bic pens - that requires drilling a 9/64" hole through the blank. I start the hole using only the very tip of a center bit (the second smallest in the HF set).

After drilling the 9/64" hole, I use the 6" long bit as a mandrel mounted in a Jacobs chuck in the headstock. With the lathe rotating very slowly, I bring the tailstock up to find the center of rotation of the end of the blank, and holding the same center bit in vice grips, make a dimple that the tailstock cone center will fit into to hold the end of the blank for turning. But this time I use more of the bit so that the shape of the dimple matches the profile of the 60deg cone.

TurtleTom

The reason they are used by woodworkers is that twist drills typically will wander off center in end grain, and in flat sawn too but to a lesser extent.
But that is not the only reason, there is a lot to know about them and there is an excellent article in Wikipedia on drill bits of all sorts. Note that center drill will show something completely different. Center and spotting drill bits is what you are after but I read the entire article and am wiser for it. Here is the link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drill_bit#Center_and_spotting_drill_bits

Joey-Nieves

First of all you should start with how you drill your blanks, do you use your lathe or your drill press? I use a centering bit when drilling some woods on the lathe not all woods, mostly the hardest.

You will see that everybody has a different way or trick or style to do this, you must experiment and choose the one that is best for you. For example, I use brad tip drill bits for most woods, so I start the lathe and barely scratch the wood so that the tip of the bit will find the center and then once the bit is stable I slowly proceed to drill the hole, now if you are to aggressive during the first 1/4" or so the bit will wonder because the pressure your applying is more than the bit can cut, therefore sharp bits are always best (except for acrylics).

For larger holes most turners use a step method, they start with a small bit and work there way to the appropriate size, this is to relive some of the stress on the blank so it won't break, it doesn't work for me, I go nice and slow without a problem, But in these cases is where the centering bit comes in handy, you need to start your hole as close to the center as possible so that your pilot hole is straight and you can drill the hole to a finished size nice in the middle.

Now remember, there are no wright ways for this, the best way is the one that works for you.

Joey

TurtleTom

I hate to be a PITA but there really is a right way. Oberg & Jones first published Machinery's Encyclopedia in 1917 and Machinery's Handbook (1914) now in Volume 29 is the definitive publication for cutting or drilling just about any material you can imagine. I'm afraid I lost my copy in a fire and can't justify the expense of another. A good library will have it or can get it as it is an invaluable reference for mechanical engineer, draftsman, toolmaker and machinist.
Step drilling should be avoided because it overly stresses the second drill where it is actually cutting. This is especially bad for carbide bits.
A center drill was invented to create a hole with a 60 degree shoulder but without a bottom so as to accommodate a live center without it bottoming out. That's why it is called a "center" drill to this day.
We mostly use them because everything wanders off center in end grain. Center drill, stub drill (these are found in the middle of hole saws), most will work in wood, just pick one. Every material has it's own preferred spotting drill, many are different from each other. In wood, it usually doesn't matter that much as witnessed by the many different first hand accounts of "what works for me."
Pick a technique that works and stay with it.

Last edited:

Warren White

Thank you all!

This has been quite informative for me, and I hope for others.

I just drilled two Celtic knot blanks using the center drill to provide a centered point to begin my drilling. The wood is Paduck.

I am using a 7mm brad point bit that I purchased from Craft Supply. (Why, oh why do they make pen blank drill bits so much longer than the need to be for any pen blank I have ever done? It just seems to allow way too much flex when the bit is 6" long. I suppose others have blanks that are longer than the ones I use....)

After using the starter bit, the 7 mm bit stayed centered and the drilling went just fine. Thank you for the education.

TurtleTom

I'm with you on the length of the 7mm bit, especially since I don't trust it the full length and cut my blanks in half then drill. But that is mostly because I don't trust my mini Rikon.

monophoto

Warren

To complete the story, there are three other critical factors that need to be considered when drilling blanks.

One is the speed of rotation of the bit - how fast is the lathe, drill press, hand drill, or brace/bit rotating. If the rotational speed is too high, friction between the blank and the bit, and between the blank and swarf in the flutes of the bit, will cause heating, and if there is too much heating, that can lead to problems. The worst case is that too much heating can cause the blank to crack - moisture trapped in the blank flashes to steam which expands to crack the blank. The general rule is that you should drill at the lowest speed possible - my experience is that speeds in excess of around 500 r/min are too fast.

The other issue relates to the rate at which the bit is advanced into the wood. Let's take the 7mm bit you are using as an example. A 7mm bit cuts a hole with a cross sectional area of a tad more than 11 sq mm. So for each mm that the bit advances into the blank, it will cut a hole with a volume of 11 cubic mm, and generate 11 cubic mm of swarf. That swarf has nowhere to go other than into the flutes. I'm sure that there's a defined relationship between the depth of flutes and the diameter of the bit, but I don't know what it is; visually, however, it looks to me like the flutes of my 7mm bit are about half the cross sectional area of the bit. So that means that for each mm that the bit advances into the wood, swarf will fill 2mm of flute. As long as the swarf passes smoothly through the flutes, everything will be fine. But the fact is that flutes become constipated (can't think of a better term), and the swarf stops moving. That means that the additional swarf generated by the cutting edge will be packed into the flutes, resulting in increased friction, and increased heating. So that leads to the second rule of drilling - periodically, you have to stop the forward motion of the bit and back it out of the blank to clear the swarf.

Finally, there is the matter of how fast the bit should advance into the blank. Remember that the cutting edge is at the tip of the bit, and as the bit advances it moves into the hole cut by those leading edges. If the wood has pronounced grain (meaning a differentiation between softer wood that grew faster during warm weather, and harder wood that grew more slowly during cold weather), and if you try to advance the bit faster than it can cut the hole, you will be forcing the bit to follow the softer wood that is more easily drilled. This will result in wandering - and the smaller the bit, the more easily this can happen. This translates into rule that says the slower the bit is rotating, the slower you must advance the bit.

vakmere

I don't get it. If my kit calls for a 27/64 I put it in the drill press, adjust the table, center the blank, and start drilling down the center at a speed that will not over heat. 7mm, 12.5, 10.5, I do the same thing. Not sure for a pen blank why go thru all the fuss?

Skie_M

Because, Vakmere, my friend ....

If you're drilling a special blank or a sectional blank that has a design that MUST BE PERFECTLY CENTERED, and you are off by as much as a millimeter, the design can be COMPLETELY RUINED.

Joey-Nieves

So............

1. start with a perfectly square blank.
  2. Place and verify alignment on the lathe or drill press
  3. set lathe or drill press to lowest speed
  4. Use centering bit to make 60 deg pilot hole for drill bit
  5. drill hole slowly and to avoid wondering, heat and tear out.
  6. enjoy turning
if all of the above don't work send expensive and pretty blanks to me:smile-big:

Top Bottom